1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What to expect at a poultry show??

Discussion in 'Chickenstocks, Shows, Meet-Ups' started by ChickieBooBoo, Oct 23, 2010.

1. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    For 4-H this year I am doing a poultry project from Nova Scotia because Manitoba doesnt have one. There is a show in December here I believe so I will be required to show some birds for the project. I have no idea what to expect, do you just show up and let them to their thing? Or do I need to handle the bird and/or answer questions? Is there anything I need to bring besides the bird??

2. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    I've never done it, but for 4-H competition I understand there is a certain protocol to it. From dressing appropriately to showing that you handle the animals properly and being able to answer judge's questions.

I'd suggest you contact somebody who has done it before and ask for tips. Your 4-H coordinators or even the show coordinator should be able to point you toward somebody that can help.

3. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Quote:The problem is its not really a 4-H show, there isnt a 4-H Poultry Program in MB. We're just kinda winging it [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by