What to expect at a poultry show?

Discussion in 'Chickenstocks, Shows, Meet-Ups' started by ChickieBooBoo, Dec 1, 2010.

1. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    I am going to one this weekend and am bringing a few birds with me. I have a few last minute questions.

1) Do they judges take the bird out of the cage? Are you supposed to take it out?
    2) Are there birds for sale at a poultry show?
    3) Are you supposed to be kinda dressed up? Or just in casual clothes?
    4) My Hamburg rooster's comb and wattles are a bit frost bittin on the tips, is this a DQ?

Thanks

2. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    1) The judges will remove the birds and judge them. Only you or a judge should ever be messing with the birds.
    2) Most shows have an out side sales area where sellers setup.
    3) Everyday street clothes. Dress for comfort. The birds are being judged, not you.
    4) Not a DQ, but will be a few points off.

Matt

3. ChickieBooBoo

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Quote:Thanks for the info, my Hamburgs dont like being handled at all. I have been trying to tame them down a bit and we've made some progress but... Should they be friendly for the judge?

4. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    1) Do they judges take the bird out of the cage? Are you supposed to take it out?

The judge will take your bird out of the cage and begin looking at it. If you do Showmanship it will be you taking the bird out of it's cage. Sometimes the Showmanship judge will ask you to locate parts on the birds or so.

2) Are there birds for sale at a poultry show?

Plenty!

3) Are you supposed to be kinda dressed up? Or just in casual clothes?

I just wear jeans and my BYC shirt [​IMG] Showmanship you would want to wear a white shirt or a lab coat.

4) My Hamburg rooster's comb and wattles are a bit frost bittin on the tips, is this a DQ?

As Matt said a few points off

Feel free to pm any questions [​IMG]

5. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    rubbing some vet rx on the comb and wattles will make them nice and red. make sure your bird is clean judges don't like POOP [​IMG]

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Remember to quarantine your birds when you return from the show just as you would any newly purchased birds. Good luck, and have a good time.

7. cochin44

cochin44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    St. Amant, LA
    Does anyone know where to get those white lab coats for kids?

8. bantiebabe1200

bantiebabe1200 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    Ennis, Montana
    sourland said
    Remember to quarantine your birds when you return from the show just as you would any newly purchased birds.

I'm just curious, as I'm fairly new to showing too.
    How long do you quarantine your birds before returning them to flock? What is the best method of quarantining?​

9. ChickieBooBoo

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Quote:I'm just curious, as I'm fairly new to showing too.
    How long do you quarantine your birds before returning them to flock? What is the best method of quarantining?

I'd say about 3 weeks, give or take a bit. The best way is to keep them completely seperate, then add one of your least fav hens in with her to try it out.

10. bantiebabe1200

bantiebabe1200 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    Ennis, Montana
    I'll remember that ChickieBooBoo, thanks for the advice. [​IMG] I love to learn new things!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by