What to expect at a show in terms of prices?

Discussion in 'Chickenstocks, Shows, Meet-Ups' started by awalters0815, Apr 7, 2011.

1. awalters0815

awalters0815 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Plainfield, IN
    I'm going to the gateway poultry show in Bloomington on Saturday. Its my first show and I was wondering what I can expect to pay per bird for quality breed chickens. I'm interested in Orpingtons, marans, welsumers, polish, and anything unusual that still lays decently. Just curious about how much money I should take with me to buy 2-3 birds.

2. Ms.FuzzyButts

Ms.FuzzyButts Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    North Alabama
    You should take anywhere from $5.00 to a couple hundred. Seriously! It really depends on the quality of the bird and who you are buying it from.

3. awalters0815

Mar 31, 2010
    Plainfield, IN
    Ms.FuzzyButts :

You should take anywhere from $5.00 to a couple hundred. Seriously! It really depends on the quality of the bird and who you are buying it from.

Ummmm. . . I won't be taking a couple hundred. $25 a bird is my limit and even at 25 it would have to be one special birdy! Thanks for the info.​

4. Ms.FuzzyButts

Ms.FuzzyButts Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    North Alabama
    Ok... I just know that's what you can expect in my neck of the woods at a show. I hope you find what you are looking for! There's usually an array of choices. It's fun just to look.

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Yep, as said. If your show is just a fair, 4H type thing, or simply a small time show (less than ooh 300 birds of one species) you won't be paying much. But if you're truly wanting to get show birds, don't expect 25 will cover a good bird. [​IMG] 25 will cover a decent breeding rooster or a hen who's a little above the normal hatchery layer.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  6. awalters0815

Mar 31, 2010
    Plainfield, IN
    Quote:It's the gateway poultry show in Bloomington Indiana. I guess I'll take 50 bucks and see how many nice birds I can get. i only want 2 or 3

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by