What to expect come hatching?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CinnamonQueen12, Mar 28, 2012.

1. CinnamonQueen12

CinnamonQueen12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
    I should seriously win the "Worst Mother of the Year" award! I just went into lockdown yesterday evening (yesterday was day seventeen for me) and things went from bad to worse to absolutely horrible!!!!! So let me give anyone who is willing to read the woes of a poor, stressed chicken mom the rundown of what happened, starting last night......(Flashback.......) All was good in the bator. I had just turned the eggs for the last time. So I figured that since I was done turning, I would raise the humidity to around 60%. Well, I wake up on day 18 to a temp of 97 cuz it was freezingin my room, and a humidity level of above 70%. Freaking out: Commence! Get home from school and find the temp to be ok at about 99.5ish, but the humidity was still around 70%. Now, just for some background, the fan is placed under the grate where the eggs are. The water dish is placed behind it so the humidity is sucked in with the air and pushed up under the light where it heats up and then blows over the eggs. I have a water bottle filled with warm water with a hole poked in the cap. I stuck a bit of fish tubing though the hole so all I have to do is tip the bottle upside down to add water to a small bread pan that I cut down. Unfortunately, the water comes out of the tube and into the tin fast, and sometimes it misses the tin. Well, this afternoon, I noticed that one of the LED lights on the fan was blinking. Then I noticed the reddish brown gooey liquid under the fan. One can hardly imagine my panic when I thought one of the eggs broke. Nope! They were safe. The fan, howver, got slightly splashed with water and some of the water had gotten into the fan though some openings. The wires and metal had water damage. The liquid was water mixed with rust. Egg were safe. Until I had to remove them and place them gently in an egg carton, big side up, and put that in an unused cooler while I cleaned the inside of the bator. I managed to get the smell of the lemon scented disinfecting cloth out of the bator before I replaced everything. The whole time, in my head, I had made up a new song. I'm sure you've heard it before. It can be sung with any tune. It goes like this: Stupid, stupid, stupid! You stupid person you! [​IMG] But wait, I'm not done! A few hours later, I ended up removing the eggs again because I thought I had put the fan back in backwards. Turns out I didn't. Here comes the song again! Finally, after the most stressful day ever, the temp is good at 99ish while the humidity slowly creeps back up to 70%. Does anyone have any faith that, after all this, they'er still alive in there? [​IMG]

2. blkwdw

blkwdw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2011
    I'm gonna bet you have some chickies hatch out in a couple of days, if it was easy, everyone would do it! Keep me posted, when is day 21?

3. CinnamonQueen12

Jul 20, 2011
    Day 21 is this Saturday. Although I'm thinking they probably wont hatch until day 22, Sunday, because the last batch of chickies pipped day 21 and hatched day 22. Is that normal?

4. CinnamonQueen12

Jul 20, 2011
    Also, is 70% humidity not a huge problem? It wont, like, drown the chicks, will it?

5. blkwdw

blkwdw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2011
    I wouldn't add any water, 70% should be fine. The fluctuations in temp might delay the hatch a little, just remember: DO NOT OPEN THE INCUBATOR AFTER LOCKDOWN!!!
    Get a nice soft pillow and camp out by the window for the next three days.

6. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    I'm sorry you are so stressed [​IMG] Have faith it will be Ok! I just did my first hatch with 2 home made incubators with home grown eggs. I killed a chick by dropping the egg off the flashlight, candling on day 7.[​IMG] It had a heart beat I could actually see moving. I had 6 hatch early day 20 and 2 big chicks died in egg without pipping. Their eggs had gotten knock by other chicks and they got pointing down instead of up. By the time I noticed and corrected - it was too late. I am putting 6 shipped eggs in hatcher tonight and just hoping for the best. [​IMG]

I hope this hatch goes well for you !!! Sending Good chick vibes your way!!!

7. CinnamonQueen12

Jul 20, 2011
    [​IMG]Ohhh, I'm sorry to hear about this! I know how it feels! My friend also dropped her egg off the flashlight, and in the begining of this hatch, I cracked an egg by dropping another one on top of it. Thank you for the Good chick vibes! I think I can feel them coming now! I'm also sending some to you in hopes that you have 6 beautiful baby chicks 21 days from today! Good Luck! Thank you both!

8. CinnamonQueen12

Jul 20, 2011
    Two more quick questions: one- is there such a thing as too high of a humidity level from day 18-21? Should the humidity rise above 70%? 2- Today is day 19. When should I hear peeping from inside the eggs and when should the chicks begin to pip? From the questions I ask, it probably seems like this is my first time incubating, but its actually my fourth. I have just had so many different results with the same constants (i know, it sounds like a science project! It very well could be! I'm just in it for the chicks!!!!) I feel like I'm doing something wrong!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by