What to expect when you're expecting???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kimntep, Sep 12, 2011.

1. kimntep

kimntep Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2010
    Ocala, Florida
    Mary went broody AGAIN, for the 4th time in 6 months, so we decided to let her go for it! I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO DO!!!!! She seems to be doing well enough all by herself, but we haven't candled and they should be due to hatch this weekend. Should I check them or let nature take it's course?? Anything else a newbie should know?? Thanks, in advance, for your help!

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I make sure my broody has food and water close by in chick-sized waterers and feeders. I make sure Mama's nest is at ground level so I don't have to worry about chicks falling out of the nest with no way to get back in. Then I sit back and watch Mother Nature at her finest, a mama hen raising chicks.

Chickens have been raising chicks for eons. They pretty much know what they are doing by now.

3. heatherkh

heatherkh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    Clackamas, Oregon
    We didn't candle, and just let it happen - and voilĂ ! Three babies yesterday and six by the time I left for work this morning. I'd just make sure everything's secure and that you have food/water available for them when they come. They don't need anything the first couple days as they are still be nourished by the yolk sac they absorbed.

4. kimntep

kimntep Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2010
    Ocala, Florida
    3 weeks, right?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by