What to feed 10-week old chicks

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Chick_Lit123, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Chick_Lit123

Chick_Lit123 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2011
    Aside from the typical "grower" mash you get at the feed store, is there something else I can/should give my chicks now that they're not out grazing? The ground is frozen and they are too little to free range. This is the first time I've had chicks in the cold weather, so I'm not sure how to supplement their diet. Thanks!![​IMG]

2. twentynine

twentynine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Grower is a complete ration.

Supplement with what ever you want but it is not required.

3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Quote:X2
    And not recommended.
    Read the label. This is a paraphrase but it says something like "this feed is a complete ration for birds of the age specified, no other feed should be given."
    Growing birds need a minimum of 18% protein and anything else you provide (like scratch grains) will diminish that percentage and guess what - they don't grow as well.
    My birds only get grower (18% -24% depending on breed) from 2 days old to adulthood.
    They might get whole fat plain yogurt twice during that span but nothing else.
    They are also given the choice to go out to free range from about 6 weeks regardless of weather. They usually venture out for brief stints and eventually spend most of the day scratching about coming in to feed and back out again.
    They end up big and healthy.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  4. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    I have birds from 3+ years down to 2 weeks old at the moment and you know what I've found that they all LOVE as a treat? Oatmeal. I take a canister of off-brand quick oats from Dollar Tree and mix it with hot water from the faucet and let it sit a few minutes and voila'! They eat it up like it is the best thing ever. If I am worried about protein loss by feeding too much of it, I just mix in a cup or two of chick starter and they devour it in the oatmeal! [​IMG]

5. Clay Mudd

Clay Mudd Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    South MS swamps
    Quote:Ask yourself what they're missing out on by not grazing: greens and bugs, yes? A very easy way to supply that would be to buy a head of chard, kale, or something like that and some meal worms. There are cheaper and more creative ways, but that'll depend on your own situation.

6. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Quote:Ask yourself what they're missing out on by not grazing: greens and bugs, yes? A very easy way to supply that would be to buy a head of chard, kale, or something like that and some meal worms. There are cheaper and more creative ways, but that'll depend on your own situation.

On good pasture, the bugs boost the protein while the greens and seeds diminish it.

Optimal pasture is a fairly complete diet but everyone who has the optimal lush pasture after the chickens have been in it a while -Raise your hands.
    Seeing none, I guess I'll stick to the grower ration.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by