We need your amazing chicken photos for our 2020 Calendar! Submit your pics HERE!

What to feed 11 week old chicks?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Svaness, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Svaness

Svaness Songster

Jun 26, 2018
    Hi everyone.
    We've been feeding our chicks chick starter and are looking to switch them. I went to the farm today and asked for grower crumbs. When I got home my husband noticed they gave us meat builder pellets. We're wondering if this is acceptable or should I go exchange for something else???

Attached Files:

DobieLover likes this.
  2. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Hi. I can't see the numbers on the label.
    However, if it isn't opened, I'd return it and get All Flock, Flock Raiser or just leave them on the chick crumbles if the protein is 18 - 20%. They can stay on that for life. When they get to be about 18 weeks old, put out a separate container with oyster shell in it for the extra calcium they will need for egg laying.

3. Svaness

Svaness Songster

Jun 26, 2018
    Thanks for your reply, here's the numbers if it helps but if you say so I'll probably just bring it back.

Crude protein...min. 18%
    Crude fat... min. 3%
    Crude fiber... max 5%
    Calcium... actual 0.90%
    Phosphorus actual 0.70%
    Sodium. Actual 0.16%

4. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    That should be fine to feed.

5. Chef JimmyJ

Chef JimmyJ Songster

Just a Newbie Guess...Looks like a 18% Grower for meat birds. If it's formulated to make a Cornish X grow big and strong in 8 to 10 weeks, cant see why it would not be fine for your girls to grow on. I'm sure others will have a more definite answer for you...JJ

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  6. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Definitely don't want meat builder feed. You want a Grower/finisher feed. Then once layers you provide oyster shell in a separate dish.

7. Chef JimmyJ

Chef JimmyJ Songster

Just curious as to why not? What would be in a Meat Bird Grower that would be harmful or different from a Grower/Finisher? I can't recall " Finisher " referencing Layers. On the other hand, Meat birds are Finished to market weight. So it seems they would by extremely similar.
    I'm blown away by the variety of Feeds. Thanks...JJ

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  8. Chickassan

Chickassan Wattle Fondler

Protein is a bit high for chicks that age. If possible i'd swap it for flock raiser, if not i'd mix it in with flock raiser.
    High protein feeds have a place when your birds molt but until then go with the flock raiser.:)

trumpeting_angel likes this.
  9. Folly's place

Folly's place Crossing the Road

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Flock Raiser, which is what I feed, is 20% protein, and fine for everyone.
    Different brands have different names for feeds in their product lines, so a grower feed might be the same as a meat bird feed, or a chick starter, or an all flock, depending on the manufacturer.
    Buy something labeled as appropriate for your birds, with recent mill dates on each bag, available where you shop. It's going to vary depending on your location, there's no one answer for everyone.
    Mary

trumpeting_angel likes this.
  10. trumpeting_angel

trumpeting_angel Crowing

Feb 6, 2019
    Vermont
    That’s interesting, and very helpful for us new kids on the farm!

Svaness likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: