1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What to feed 2-month old chickens ??

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by asooomaa, Sep 11, 2009.

1. asooomaa

asooomaa Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2009
    Switzerland
    Hi all,
    I want to explain what is the appropriate food to feed my 2-month old flock ?? ( Sorry If there are mistakes in language, I'm Swiss) not a good english speaker

2. cw

cw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    mine free range and get layer mesh, what did you have in mind?
    i have a neighbor who grew up during the great depression in the US and he recalls a time you didnt feed chickens they were on there own, of course they free ranged as well

3. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    I'd recommend grower feed (mash or crumbles). If you can't find grower (or maintenance) feed, then I would keep them on starter. Usually you do not switch to the layer feed until they are near the age of laying (or after the first egg is layed).[​IMG] Hope this helps!

4. asooomaa

Aug 22, 2009
    Switzerland
    My chickens aren't almost free-range , you can say semi-free range, but they are caged in a barn thats ground is soil and grass

5. cw

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    could you ever free range them? or is predators or neighbors a problem?
    mine free range and it saves a ton on feed

6. asooomaa

Aug 22, 2009
    Switzerland
    I can't free range them, my yard is grown with some vegetables and flowers, but I want to make a good recipe myself, can you help ?

7. cw

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    what do you mean a good recipe? ways to save money on the feed bill absoulty i can try to help

8. asooomaa

Aug 22, 2009
    Switzerland
    I mean a good mixture ( homemade ) to feed the chickens ,,

thanx

9. cw

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    ok hats what i thought you meant, the best place to look is lionsgrip.com then you can add or subtract ingrediants to what your local grain mill has in stock, i go to a mill as it is a lot cheaper then a feed store, and here its local grown grains as well

10. Marilyn789

Marilyn789 New Egg

May 12, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by