What to feed a mixed age flock?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by CandiceN, Jul 21, 2011.

1. CandiceN

CandiceN Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    NH
    I have an 11 week old hen and 3 20 week old hens that are showing signs of laying. I know the older ones should be on the layer crumbles, but I don't know if the 11 week old is too young for them?

Ideas?

Thanks! I have to go buy more food tomorrow and I'm not sure what to get.

2. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    You want to get flock raiser because it has less calcium and some get oyster shell to put on the side for free choice. I use flock raiser as well with a mixed flock. Before I got my new girls I used Layer but I think I am going to leave them flock raiser even after the newbies get laying because they seem to eat less with it. It has more protein so the girls are less hungry. Just give them free choice shell and crushed eggshells too.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  3. CandiceN

May 30, 2011
    NH
    Quote:Ok, thanks! I'm heading to the local feed store tomorrow, so I'll ask about flock raiser and oyster shell.

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

"Flock Raiser" is a Purina product. Another similar product is "All Flock" by Nutrena.

If your feed store doesn't have those brands, or the type by name, ask for "grower/finisher" feed. It's the feed between chick starter and layer feed.

I feed my entire flock - including ducks and geese - All Flock. I do leave crushed oyster shell out, free choice.

(Broody hens get their own little feed troughs of chick starter, and other treats, to combat their diminished rations whilst they're only eating once or twice a day, and when the chicks hatch.)

5. CandiceN

May 30, 2011
    NH
    Quote:I think that's the one I bought last time - grower/finisher - from Agway. It wasn't a name brand, just a store mix, so I'll have to check the bag. For the oyster shell - do you use a second feeder for that? I am building a large feeder for the regular feed this weekend (5 gallon pail + hog pan as seen on BYC [​IMG]) Can I use the chick feeder I already have for oyster shell or do they need more than that?

How about scratch? I am reading up on it but there are so many conflicting opinions on it!

Thanks!

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I have a heavy dish intended to be a no-spill dog food dish, which I keep in the yard with crushed oyster shell in it. When it gets empty, I put more into it. Not even a feeder, just an old crock dish.

7. CandiceN

May 30, 2011
    NH
    Quote:I think I have something similar in use for food right now. It's a large silver dog bowl, heavy duty. I'll just use that! Thanks [​IMG]

8. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    Quote:I think that's the one I bought last time - grower/finisher - from Agway. It wasn't a name brand, just a store mix, so I'll have to check the bag. For the oyster shell - do you use a second feeder for that? I am building a large feeder for the regular feed this weekend (5 gallon pail + hog pan as seen on BYC [​IMG]) Can I use the chick feeder I already have for oyster shell or do they need more than that?

How about scratch? I am reading up on it but there are so many conflicting opinions on it!

Thanks!

Scratch is used as a treat...don't over feed this...just a handful or so a day is all they need.

9. CandiceN

May 30, 2011
    NH
    So I went to the local Blue Seal and the girl at the counter said their version of flock raiser is Chick N Game - which I see now is listed as a starter/grower. I also grabbed a bag of Oyster Shell to put out for the older ladies. (And a decent sized bag of DE for $2! Score!)

The website says:

Chick N' Game Bird Starter/Grower Crumbles™
    A complete, non-medicated for starting and growing chickens, ducks, geese, and game birds.

There is a chart and it says to use it for birds up to 8 weeks, so I'm confused why she would say that is what I needed?
    http://www.blueseal.com/poultry/feedprg.php

So did I get the wrong thing? This is the same stuff i got last time from a different store it turns out (I compared bags when I got home).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by