what to feed and when to give some variety

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LeoneB, Sep 7, 2014.

1. LeoneB

LeoneB Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2014
    Thanks in advance for comments.
    I have my 9 babies, that are 3 and 5 days old, I have chicken starter for them, which they seem to love.
    How old do they have to be before I can introduce other food for them, and what kind of other food can I start giving them when I can?

cheers
    Leone
    [​IMG]

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    You should continue starter feed until time to change to adult feed. Check info from manufacturer of the brand you use and they advise when to change. For layers it is 17-18 weeks old. Don't know about those raised for meat.

They will love some dried mealy worms, but wait til they are 1-2 weeks old. Food runs in the brooder with mealy worms is a riot!

I did treat mine with a chopped boiled egg at several weeks old, they only ate the white, guess it looked like worms.

Don't overdo the treats, they need complete nutrition with the added vitamins to grow healthy.

When ours were several weeks old and getting too bored in brooder added a hanging treat block made for baby chicks - got it at Tractor Supply - they loved it and kept them from pecking each other. Don't remember the product name, I called it Baby CAKE but not sure if I made that up?

3. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Are these Buff Orpingtons and Barred Rocks ??? Sure look like mine at that age. One of my buffs had the same orange dot on her head. I was afraid the bars with larger white spots might be boys…but all turned out to be pullets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by