What to feed and when?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Glockoma441FA, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Glockoma441FA

Glockoma441FA Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2012
    Bedford, Texas
    Hey everyone, I have a question and I am sure the answer is on the forum somewhere. I was doing some mild browsing and got impatient lol. My chicks are 5 weeks old as of yesterday and tomorrow I need to go to the feed store to get some more feed. My question is, should I leave them on chick starter food, or are they old enough now for different kinds of feed? What would you folks suggest? Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  2. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Everyone will have a different opinion.
    I leave mine on medicated chick starter until they are at point of lay.
    Layer food has additional calcium in it for egg laying hens that could be harmful to the younger chicks. The chick starter has higher protein that their growing bodies need.

3. Glockoma441FA

Glockoma441FA Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2012
    Bedford, Texas
    So I dont need to worry about grit or scratch feed then?

4. Rhode Island

Rhode Island Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2012
    Australia
    Dont worry about scratch. My chickens have never been given scratch and they are doing fine. Grit is in some feeds.

5. Roxannemc

Roxannemc Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    SE Missouri
    I do they same.As someone told me the medicated and the unmedicate crumbles cost the same so why not.And layer feed is about a dollar or so cheaper.They get it when they begin to lay.And yes layer is dangerous for chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by