What to Feed Baby Chicks

andrew3waz

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 21, 2013
Hey,

So I got two 50lbs bags of spout chick starter-grower feed one is medicated and one is not. I don't know which one to feed to them, or could I feed them both in two different feeders? Also I herd that you can put apple cider vinegar in the water in your chick brooder and I am wondering how much to put in the water and what it helps?

thanks,
andrew3waz

Well feeding them medicated or unmedicated feed won't hurt them but if you have vaccinated your chicks for coccidiosis then you should feed unmedicated feed ( because medicated feed nullifies the coccidiosis vaccination). If your chicks aren't vaccinated you can feed medicated chick feed but it depends on what you feel is best for them, if your chick brooder is unsanitary they could get coccidiosis.

For the apple cider vinegar you can add a tablespoon per gallon in their waterer. :)

Veer67 what does the apple cider vinegar help and when do you stope giving it to them?

Apple cider vinegar encourages the growth of beneficial gut flora which gets rid of harmful organisms. Chicks raised under a hen gain beneficial gut flora faster than chicks raised in an incubator, something I like to also give my chicks is plain yogurt but too much will cause diarrhea.

Veer67 when should I stop giving them the apple cider vinegar? And how do you know how much is to much yogurt?

Used to have 1 Red Star, 2 Easter Eggers, 1 Silver laced Wyandotte, and 1 Buff Orpington.
Right now I have 2 White Leghorns, 1 Blue Orpington, 1 Sicilian Buttercup, and a Partridge Silkie.
It's not a lot but I prefer getting small amounts it's the quality not the quantity that counts.
big_smile.png

What do you feed baby serama chicks? I have heard they are so tiny that you need to grind their food?? Anybody? HELP!!

Back
Top Bottom