What to feed call babies??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by tonini3059, Jan 20, 2009.

1. tonini3059

tonini3059 [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Luv

Nov 6, 2008
    Southwestern PA
    I have a 2 day old and a 1 day old call duck. What should I feed them they seem to pick at everything other than the chick starter feed. I tried mixing it with water and they still won't touch it.
    Thanks
    Brandy

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I always start mine out on Purina medicated Start & Grow. I just give it to them dry in a shallow dish. Just make sure they have access to water while they're eating. I chop up dark green lettuce and float a little in their drinking water.

3. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    I would NOT use MEDICATED feed for ducks! NO no no no! It can kill a baby duckling. (I've had this happen to me)! Only feed ducklings UnMedicated Feed! Purina makes a good Sunfresh Flock Raiser feed too... It's good for both chickens and ducks (even geese)

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:As long as the only medication the feed contains is amprolium it is fine for ducklings. Amprolium is what is in Purina Start & Grow. I've raised lots of ducklings on it and haven't lost any because of it. Ducklings are suseptible to cocci just like chicks. Amprolium is a preventative against cocci.

5. nettie

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    fo0r call ducklings, which can be harder to raise than other ducks, it might be a problem... from what i've read online call ducklings are esp hard to raise, so i would stay on the safe side and get a non medicated game bird starter crumble

6. nettie

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    also, this might help... If your feed store has calf manna (mine does by the pound) you could get some a soak it in some water... you can mix a small amount with your duckling's feed. Apparently it's very palletable for ducks... mine absolutly love it

7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:It isn't a problem for call ducklings...that's what I raise and I've raised all my call ducklings on it for the last 6 years and haven't lost any because of it.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by