What to feed chickens of varying ages?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Indigosands, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Indigosands

Indigosands Songster

Apr 9, 2012
    Yucca Valley, CA
    I have 7 10wk pullets and 8wk olds in the same pen. Later this summer I'll have a new group blending with them, 2mos younger with more EE's. The oldest are production hens and they will likely start laying prior to 20wks old. The rest are mixed but with a lot of EE's in there which I understand mature and lay fairly late, well beyond 25wks.

My gut tells me to keep feeding unmedicated starter until the last group reaches at least 15 weeks but that means I'll have laying hens eating starter feed. Is that harmful for them to eat it other than needing oyster shell (that I'll provide separately)? What about the EE's, is it hard on their bodies to switch to layer feed before they begin to lay? confused.....

2. mnferalkitty

mnferalkitty Songster

May 17, 2012
    Minnesota
    I feed chick starter to all my ages until the last group gets old enough for layer, I have always done this because I don't want to buy seperate bags of food and seperate to feed, I have had no problems

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    When hens first start laying they really don't need the extra calcuim, in my experience. It's your older hens who have been laying a while who get a little low. Personally, I feed an all in one to everyone but chicks under 4 weeks that aren't with momma, and offer oyster shell on the side.

4. Indigosands

Indigosands Songster

Apr 9, 2012
    Yucca Valley, CA
    OK good, I don't want to short my younger ones on protein they need in order to switch for the layers. Thanks!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: