1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what to feed chickens

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by lillyjane, Feb 22, 2013.

1. lillyjane

lillyjane New Egg

Feb 22, 2013
    I have a few chickens and they keep eating there feathers. I know that they dont have enough protein in there feed. I finely found a feed store that can carry a feed with 19% protein but it only comes in crumbs which my chickens REALLY dont like, they like the pellets. The feed store suggested a boiler breeder feed its contains 20% protein.But i dont know. Does anyone have any suggestion?
    Lillyjane

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    When you say 'eating their feathers' do you mean the ones on the ground they have shed or off of each other? Sometimes feather pecking is a sign of a nutritional deficiency, sometimes it is a sign of boredom. I have heard of folks suspending a head of cabbage in the coop to keep them occupied. It won't hurt to bump up their protein a little as well - don't go too high, though. As for them not liking the crumbles...they will eat it if their hungry enough. Good luck to you!!

3. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    Are they pulling feathers or just eating loose ones on the ground? If they are just picking up loose ones I wouldn't worry about it too much.

4. lillyjane

lillyjane New Egg

Feb 22, 2013
    I seen the chicken perching and the others go underneath them and pluck there feathers. I heard someone giving them game bird feed with the reg lay ration.

5. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    That's not necessarily indicative of a nutritional deficiency. Feather pecking problems due to nutritional deficiencies are usually more widespread within a flock. (Does your entire flock look feather-pecked and ratty?) They may have been picking on a subordinate hen as part of their pecking order or it may have been some normal preening/feeding behaviors. Other hens may have been picking at some already loose feathers, some dung stuck to her bottom side, or external parasites.

6. lillyjane

lillyjane New Egg

Feb 22, 2013
    That would explain a lot. I tryied everything changing feed, vitamines, supplement block nothing really worked. But your right its always the same hens.
    Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by