What to feed chicks

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by WhiteLeghorn2, Feb 25, 2014.

1. WhiteLeghorn2

WhiteLeghorn2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2013
    Hi, my family and I are going to raise chicks this spring (We're buying them from a local business). What do you recommend feeding them? I know that there is medicated, and non medicated, but what should be fed? Also, what exact temperature should it be on the warm side of the brooder? Is it true I need to drop the temperature by 5 degrees fahrenheit every week until I get to room temperature? Thanks so much!

2. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    I feed non medicated chick feed because I have never had a problem with my flock and I free range. It really is a personal choice, some really like medicated whereas others don't really worry about it. Broody moms don't drop the temps for their chicks 5 degrees a week so it is not a problem you should have to stress yourself with. Let the chicks tell you what they want, some breeds prefer heat more then others. Just keep the heat lamp in one side of the brooder and allow the other side to get cool that way they can choose their comfort zone. If they are huddled in a pile and trying to get under each other they are too cold, if they are spread out with wings out and panting they are way too hot. I have some chicks that will stay in the warm side of the brooder long after most of the chicks in the batch are on the cool side nice and comfy. Main things to worry about: Make sure you put rocks or something like that in the water base because when really young they just fall asleep standing up and they can drown if they do this over the waterer if there isn't something to stop their beak from going all the way in (rocks). Watch for pasty butt, it happens just clean it off when you see it. Keep the brooder clean and draft free for their health. Finally take a deep breath, it is not as hard as it sounds and we are always here to help.

1 person likes this.
  3. WhiteLeghorn2

Aug 8, 2013
    @foreverlearning Thanks for the help. One more question if you don't mind! :) We are buying 3 chicks. The breed is supposedly a dual purpose breed for eggs and meat, so we are planning on eating any that are male, as we do not want roosters. Is it ok to eat a rooster that has been raised on medicated feed?

4. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Yes, by time they get to the size to eat everyone would be on layer so the meds will be out of their system. If you decide to cull while they are smaller then take them off the medicated feed two weeks before hand to get it out of their system. The meds themselves will not harm you at all as that is some of what is in store bought chicken, some people just prefer not to have it in their chicken.

5. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Yes, you can eat them. Hopefully they are ready to eat when they have stopped getting the medicated feed. Medicated feed is no guarantee, so if any start to puff up and look sick, I would still treat for cocci.

6. WhiteLeghorn2

Aug 8, 2013
    @seminolewind @foreverlearning Thank you both for the advice! :)

1 person likes this.
  7. shrutzz

shrutzz New Egg

Mar 1, 2015
    well i have welsummer chicks and when they were babies i gave them chick started which you can find ina pet store then when they get a little older start to feed them different things like breadcrumbs hen i gave it bread and rice cause u want themm to eat anything.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by