What to feed day old chick that hatched a day to soon...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by The Chicken People, Dec 22, 2009.

1. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    I know this is pretty controversial. I didnt help the first chick and it died. I helped the second one and it was too early. Third egg is under broody hen and I will not interfere...Hope it makes it so this one wont be lonely! However the one in my bathroom is chirping...will probably stand today! It was a little early but it sucked up the yolk..so hopefully another day in the makeshift bator! I bought chick starter and I was thinking mix it with water? Any advice on helping it get nutrition? I am giving a little water via a q tip every few hours without getting it up its nose...so it wont sufficate!

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    You can wet the food a bit, but if it hasn't absorbed the yolk, it doesn't need it. You can put a little sugar in the water to help it perk up. Just make sure it can't drown in the dish. You can give it a mirror, feather duster and a stuffed animal if it's lonely.

3. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    it absorbed the yolk Thanks for your quick response!

4. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    I would just put some chick starter on a papertowel and tap it with your finger to draw it's interest.

5. pedro24

pedro24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2009
    arthur, ontario
    how about chicken starter

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by