What to feed Ducklings Help!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by sowellj, Oct 24, 2009.

1. sowellj

sowellj Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2009
    I have some ducklings due this Wed. I can't find any food around here that is not medicated. One place has the Dumor Starter/Grower. It has a chick and duck picture on the front and no mention of medication. The lady at the store told me today that it does have something in it. Some sort of medication. The bag is yellow. She said I could use chick crumbles. What can I use to fee the ducklings when they are born?

2. txredneckmedic

txredneckmedic Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    I always use purina start and grow

3. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    You can use meat bird grower at first or turkey starter.

Remember to post pics. [​IMG]

4. sowellj

Sep 29, 2009
    Do most growers not contain antibiotics?

5. sowellj

Sep 29, 2009
    Is the Purina start and grow for ducklings as well as chicks? The tractor supply here has that one. The only thing is says online about it is it aids in the developing active immunity of coccidiosis in chicks. It is amprolium? Is that a medication that can harm ducklings?

6. Soccer Mom

Soccer Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    West of Crazy
    No, the feeds you see don't contain antibiotics. Check and see what the "medicated" feed is. If the medication is Amiprolene in Chick Starter, it isn't harmful to waterfowl. I've raised ducks on it for years with no problems. Purina Start and Grow is one with Amiprolene. It won't hurt the duckies.

7. sowellj

Sep 29, 2009
    Thank you so much for the responses. I will get the purina one then. My husband had bought some chick food with medication. They told him it was ok for ducks but I had read it was harmful.

8. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    Been a while but I think I used the 15% starter/grower from TSC.

9. Soccer Mom

Soccer Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    West of Crazy
    Chick starters used to contain medications that were harmful to ducks. They don't anymore. It's old advice, but still often repeated. Enjoy your ducks. [​IMG] They are incredibly addictive.

10. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    You don't want to use anything medicated. Anything other chick starter is ok.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by