1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What to Feed Ducklings

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by JenniferK, Nov 29, 2010.

1. JenniferK

JenniferK Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    Northern California
    We have ducklings arriving this week, and when I spoke to the people at our feed store they said our choices for feed are unmedicated chick starter or flock raiser crumbles (for meat birds). What would be best?

2. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

You know people make such a long list of what feed when and why. I don't do any of it. All my ducklings get right away the grower/developer crumbles with 17% protein. Some say up to 22 percent protein, but that makes them grow to fast and can cause problems. I do make sure they are getting electrolyte vitamin mineral additives into their drinking water. I tell you that is almost more important then the feed. It assures that they are getting the niacin they need. Here is a product I like to use:
    https://www.gqfmfg.com/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=231
    I give them this vitamin water daily until they are 10 days old. After that weekly until 12 weeks, and after that once per month. You can mix it in as small as 1/2 gallon at a time. I store the mixed on stuff in the fridge and microwave it a little bit before giving more to them. Simply stirr with your finger to make sure it is only luke warm or at room temperature. You just don't want them to drink it ice cold.
    The first 2-3 days you can mix the feed with the vitamin water into a mush. That helps them to swallow it. After that they can eat is as is.

3. destinduck

destinduck obsessed with "ducks"

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    since you ONLY have those two choices I would use the chick starter then use the flock raiser right about two months later

4. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    I used flock raiser when I received my ducklings. They are finishing off another bag of it and will be on to big girl duck food soon.

5. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    duck/goose starter or unmedicated chick starter. It MUST be unmedicated

6. taraann81

taraann81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Ontario
    Quote:You can use medicated feed. it VVill NOT kill your ducks. This vvas an old problem YEARS ago, the medication in chick starter is no longer dangerous for vvaterfovvl( I knovv this vvasn't your question, but just thought I vvould mention it as I see the same misinformation quoted over and over again as fact) The feed store I bought my first ducklings off years ago handed out apmphlet that said the same thing. Old habits die hard I guess.

7. destinduck

destinduck obsessed with "ducks"

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    taraann is correct. get with it chickieBooBoo [​IMG] . Also what is big girl duck food TLWR? Sorry jennifer. Its no wonder people get confused on here about what to feed . Too much of wrong information and no one reading your OP [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  8. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    Quote:I read the OP. With her options, my suggestion was flock raiser. It's what I used and I still have happy healthy ducks.

Big girl duck food = layer pellets.
    I don't always see the flock raiser when I'm at the feed store, but they seem to always have layer pellets. So rather than have to swap them back and forth when one runs out... I'll just put them on the food that seems to always be available there.

9. JenniferK

JenniferK Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    Northern California
    Thanks for all the information. Ironically, we went to the same feed store that said our options were unmedicated chick starter or flock raiser, and when I was ready to pay my daughter asked if they had duck food, to which the clerk replied yes. So were able to get waterfowl starter. [​IMG]

Regarding the previous post from TLWR, when you say layer pellets do you mean for chickens? Or are there some specifically for ducks?

10. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Quote:Thats not how it is where I am from, I have known many people who try and raise ducklings on chick starter and they all die of inknown causes. Duck/goose starter here is readily available so I would rather not take the risk. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by