what to feed ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ladybug4ut1, Feb 28, 2008.

1. ladybug4ut1

ladybug4ut1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2007
    Central Florida
    I am getting 9 month old cayuga ducks this weekend and want to know what i need to feed them... I have game bird manitence, non medicated chick starter and laying crumbles with scratch mixed in...which one should i use......Thanks for any information I am jst starting with DUcks...

[​IMG]

2. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    You can feed them the starter cut in with scratch about half and half until you use it up. If they are laying, regular layer feed will be fine. You don't want to go over 16% protein. If they are drakes, an all purpose feed will be fine. It should be about 14% protein and no added calcium.
    You can feed them veggie scraps and leftover noodles and rice etc, but consider it a treat, not a regular menu item.

3. KingsCalls

KingsCalls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    New Market,Tn.
    terrielacy is right.......I have call ducks, mandarins and wood ducks. I feed them scratch and laying crumbles. I've never had any problems with this mix. I just try and make sure I have more crumbles than scratch.

4. cgjsmith

cgjsmith Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2007
    tennessee
    Kings call!! Where were you last year when i was looking for calls. I live right down the road from you!! Anywho, i thought ducks were suppose to have non medicated feed. I'm getting some BEI and am trying to find non medicated feed for them! Crystal

5. ladybug4ut1

ladybug4ut1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2007
    Central Florida
    all my feed is non medicated.......thanks for the information. that means i do not have to buy another kind of food for them...

6. birdnutz

birdnutz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2007
    wyoming
    I feed turkey and gamebird grower,scratch,whole oats and whole wheat all mixed together. Never had a problem. Oh,and their favorite treat is dog food. Can't quite break that one.

7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I feed them the same things as my chickens. I ordered special duck food for them once and they never did like it!!

8. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    I give mine layer feed during the egg season, which is right now. Most of the year, though, they just forage themselves along with a healthy supplement of brewer's yeast and all the garden scraps from leafy vegetables I can get.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by