1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What to feed Ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by hoffmanslabs5, Aug 27, 2012.

1. hoffmanslabs5

hoffmanslabs5 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2010
    I am not sure what to feed my ducks. My only local supply store is a TSC. Most of their feed is for chickens. Can I feed them a grower food for chickens? It has a 15% protein. I also read if the ducks are free range it is okay to give scratch grain as feed since they get a lot of their protein from foraging and eating bugs etc. Any information would be helpful.

2. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I am fortunate that i can get a flock raiser from my feed supply. I disagree with the idea that because they forage a scratch grain would be a good feed but that is just me, i use the FR and my birds sorta free range(large penned area w/trees, grass etc) as with most things people vary with how they do things, and truly no one size fits all answer.

How old are the ducks your feeding?

3. hoffmanslabs5

hoffmanslabs5 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2010
    My ducks are about 5 months old. I also have some older ducks. I think Purina makes a Flock Raiser but I think the protein is about 20%. I thought ducks didn't need that much protein. That is why I have just been feeding a grower feed. It has a lower protein. None of my ducks are laying so I don't think I need a layer feed. Thanks.

4. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Yes, Purina makes one, i use that brand, it's 18% but i know that can vary as I am not in the US, either way.. a flock raiser is nice when you have various ages of birds. I do a free choice oyster shell for the girls instead of a layer as i have drakes.

5. bexnd

bexnd Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2012
    there is an ingredient in chicken feed that water foul arent saposed to have i found out. can you see if your local supplier can stock duck feed my local pet stores will stock what i need if they can get it .

6. new2ducks

new2ducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2012
    Colorado
    I was thinking of getting oyster shell, where do I get it and also won't the other ducks eat it and will it hurt them?

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    you can buy oyster shell at just about any feed store and TSC the only members of my flock who eat it are those laying eggs. I have roosters/drakes and gander never even seen them at the bowl of oyster shell.

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    It's medicated chick feed that most warn against feeding, mainly because ducks eat so much more than chicks and can possibly over dose on it. I think the verdict is still out though because others have fed it and haven't had problems. I don't use it because I feed Purina Flock Raiser to all my flock.

9. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Amprolium is safe for ducks. 50 years ago, a different medication was used that was not safe for ducks and the information still goes around and around to not feed medicated feed to ducks, but that advice is out of date by many decades.

10. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Yep, my drakes ignore it. I'll warn you though, it's packed(at least here) in this teeny brown paper bag that weighs 50lbs [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by