What to feed during integration? hens are eating all the babies' food.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by aubreynoramarie, May 20, 2011.

1. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    My little ones are on starter crumbles. they are around four months old now. I have integrated them fully with the big girls, but i am having a helluva time with the big girls eating the starter feed and the little ones not having anything to eat (the big girls are on layer pellets which i think are too big for the little ones as they are bantam). im on my way to the feed store, should i just put them all on flock raiser for now?

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

You will likely have to feed one thing: a Raiser or Grower and provide the hens shells on the side.

3. aubreynoramarie

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    perfect, thanks

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Yeah...I'm sorta' going through the same thing (and my little ones are bantams too). Mine are in separate coops/runs, but when I open up the runs to let them freerange, the big girls make a beeline for the little coop and the starter crumbles. I'm picking up a bag of Flock Raiser this weekend [​IMG]

5. aubreynoramarie

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    Quote:yeah it stinks because i have them all in the same run right now, ive just split the run in two. so when i take down the barrier, the big girls go running at their food and the little ones freak out, haha.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by