what to feed for molting and how much

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mom wewantchicks!, Nov 15, 2008.

1. mom wewantchicks!

mom wewantchicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    buckhannon,wv
    i have 1 hen that i know is molting. ive been reading about feeding extra protien to help with the molt. so what are some favorites to feed for extra protien and how often should i feed them. should they have something extra 24/7 or just as a treat. they are on layer crumbles,oyster shell,they free range about everyday and i give them some leftovers everyday. so far it is just the 1 out of 6 that i can tell is molting,but i assume the rest will follow so i want to be prepared.

2. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    I am not sure of the amts. but I know some people give their extra eggs as scrambled to them and some give small amts of cat food, not much. Any high protein cooked meatscraps without a lot of salt too. Watch the salt esp. Too much is not good. Also yogurt plain and natural are also good. Jean

3. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    sunflower seeds and calf manna

4. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    mom,wewantchicks! :

i have 1 hen that i know is molting. ive been reading about feeding extra protien to help with the molt. so what are some favorites to feed for extra protien and how often should i feed them. should they have something extra 24/7 or just as a treat. they are on layer crumbles,oyster shell,they free range about everyday and i give them some leftovers everyday. so far it is just the 1 out of 6 that i can tell is molting,but i assume the rest will follow so i want to be prepared.

i heard lots of people feed try or wet cat or dog food . Not sure how it works with chickens but my ducks will gobble the dry dog food right up .​

5. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    cat food is higher in protein. Jean

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by