1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What to feed goslings

Discussion in 'Geese' started by SouthernPride, May 10, 2011.

1. SouthernPride

SouthernPride Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Olive Branch, MS
    I have a Canada gosling, 3 weeks this thursday, and 2 Chinese Browns that are approx. 2 weeks old. They have been eating non-med chick starter. I went to my local feed store to get the grower pellets, grit and whole wheat. They sold me crushed oyster, and gamebird breeder pellets (bag says crumbles). They did not have the wheat. I was a little skeptical about this so I then went to my local co-op. They confirmed that the crushed oyster and pellets were correct. The pellets are 22% protein. Should I give my goslings this? I have regular play sand that they have been eating and seemed fine with it.

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Here is a link to a thread on feeding water fowl. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=484505&p=1

They
    do not need oyster shell yet, it has more calcium than they need until they are laying and the sand provides good grit. Water fowl need niacin- brewer's yeast, nutritional yeast or niacin supplement if feed not specifically for water fowl. 22% protein feed alone is too high a concentration of protein if you want to do everything to avoid angel wing (developmental problem with wings)

3. Rosebud 18

Rosebud 18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    middle Tn
    I feed mine Purina Flock Raiser. I ask at the feed mill if they needed more niacin and they told me no, it had everything already in it that they needed.

4. SouthernPride

May 8, 2011
    Olive Branch, MS
    Well I will mark those two stores are off my list for knowing anything about geese. I will try Tractor Supply for the grower pellets and put the oyster away for later. I certainly don't want to do anything wrong with these little guys. I had a Russian tortoise that I fed mixed veggies to because that is what the store was feeding them.....well her shell grew with an outward curl around it, she was getting too much protein. I felt horrible.

5. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I think the confusion sometimes is that if you are raising geese for meat birds you will have different goals-for instance you wouldn't be be particularly concerned about angel wing. Flock raiser does have the niacin in its formulation and if they eat lots and lots of grass and greens the higher protein may not be a problem.

6. ghulst

ghulst Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Zeeland Michigan
    How about green grass?

7. SouthernPride

May 8, 2011
    Olive Branch, MS
    My goslings get about 4-5 hours outside depending on the weather and how busy we are. We can't leave them alone outside yet because we do not have a secure enclosure. I will keep them on the feed I have until 10 weeks. I'm using a starter/grower and finally read the back and it is the recommendation. I'm taking the other stuff back. Thought about keeping it for later but just because they sold me the wrong stuff I'm taking it back on principle.

Still worried about the littlest Chinese, she spits up a lot and is soooo insecure.

8. Yetti

Yetti Chillin' With My Peeps

My little ones are doing fine on crumble and grass as of now. they really like the leaves on the clover and dandelions.

9. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

I took mine off the Starter and onto the Grower/Finisher at week 2 to lower their protein. They were also getting lots of greens and fruit...lettuce, cucumber, broccoli, peas, carrots, greenbeans, grapes, pear, apples, melon. Now they are outside and eating grass they get a big bowl of stuff and half a lettuce to get them in at night time.

10. DuckDuckDuckGoose

DuckDuckDuckGoose Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    The Great Northwest
    Quote:goosefeather-
    How old was your gos. when you put it outside perminantly? Mine is 16days today and I cannot keep him contained in the house any longer, he is driving me nuts wanting to be outside. The only dilemma I have is his buddy the Khaki Campbell duckling is 15days today do I have to seperate them for 2wks or should I just put her out with him since she seems very healthy and strong? She thinks she's a goose. lol and he thinks hes a human. what did I do??? LOL;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by