what to feed grown ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ozark hen, May 28, 2007.

1. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    I got my first ducks Sat. at the swap meet. I was told to feed them what I feed my chickens. They don't seem to be eating anything at all! Could they just be scared from the move? I have thrown grass clippings in with them and they have not touched them. They have been in their pool but mostly huddle in the back of the enclosed pen on a bed of straw. We have the pen covered to keep them safe and dry. I even added some dog food to the pellets of chicken feed hoping to entice them but to no avail. [​IMG] These are a pair of Indian Runners just under a year old. Thanks all.

2. Standard Hen

Standard Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    I am no duck expert but I did have some and geese and I fed them regular layer pellets.
    It will take them a couple of days for them to get used to the move so don't worry about it right now. They will acclimate and I am sure they love their pool of water.
    I found chickens were much easier for me as I have no pond and having to fill that pool everyday for them was just getting to be to much for me. Winter they went pooless!
    Good Luck with you new additions!

3. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    Hi I'm no duck expert either But I have geese. We feed them layer pellets too as its the only thing we can find locally. Its also what the farmer we got them from feeds. But I also give them plenty of greens waterfowl need naicin. I have found they really kike collard greens, romaine lettuce, frozen peas and of course frozen corn. I also float their greens in water You could try that Also check with Terrie in Oregon shes the duck expert. Hope this helps Micki

4. ozark hen

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    thank you both so much, I was afraid they would get sick or even worse since they aren't eating. I just refilled their kiddie plastic pool(small size)and they still are huddled in the back of the pen and I checked their food and they still haven't eaten. I will try to put some greens in the pool water and see what happens. Thanks again!

5. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    You might try meal worms as well. They LOVE to eat bugs but it does sound like they just need some time. I have two baby Indian runners now but, needless to say, they're not shy since they're in the house and get lots of attention daily. It's much harder to acclimate grown ducks. Good luck with your duckies!

Ellen

6. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

Theres one thing that I bet they cannot refuse
    " a mud pie"!!!!Try a bit of mud in a container or make a mudpuddle and stand back!!!!
    My ducks go nuts over mud!and chopped tomatoes,snails, grubs,butterflies,moths,anything that moves!!
    Best of luck.

7. ozark hen

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    thanks all!! They still aren't eating but I will give it some time. I chopped up some carrots and romaine and even put in a heap of grass clippings close to them so I hope it works when I am not around! I am going to go chop them some tomatoes right now. Oh, I sprinkled the veggies over the top of their clean pool water also but so far they haven't even gone to the pool. [​IMG] today that is.

8. ozark hen

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    Thank God for my DH! He looked at the ducks last night after work and said, let's put them in with the chickens tonight when the chickens go to roost. I panicked and told him my chickens would hurt them! He said, no they won't. We took them to the other pen, after terrorizing the poor things catching them. They hid behind a box right away in the pen. This morning I opened the pen to allow the chickens to free range and said a little prayer that I wouldn't loose my ducks, since I have to leave the gate open for the hens to go back in and lay their eggs. I have gone out there twice now this morning, the ducks are still in the pen with the gate open and the big water tub is all muddy looking like ducks do to the water from the feed. Lots of feed is gone!! They ran and hid behind the box again but I saw them stretching their wings in the pen before they saw me. so I am so happy that they are now eating. Whew!! [​IMG] Thanks to all who gave advice, you people are great!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by