What to feed hens for maximum laying efficiency

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by daddy_roo, Sep 16, 2011.

1. daddy_roo

daddy_roo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2011
    Kentucky
    I have read and saved the treats chart, and was wondering if there is anything other than sunflower seeds that are great for helping hens lay eggs? I understand that the better nurished they are the better they will lay, but I was wondering if there is something that will help give them an edge.

2. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Too many sunflower seeds will just make your hens fat and not necessarily more productive. In fact, if they eat too much they'll not get the other nutrients they need found in other feeds. Lipids are needed in any diet, but in moderation.

3. daddy_roo

Sep 6, 2011
    Kentucky
    As I said I understand that proper nutrition is vital but I was more or less wondering how to get the most out of the treats I give my girls.

4. Animalian

Animalian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    I find that whenever my girls get "lazy" with laying eggs, a few strips of beef each gets them back on track within a day or two!

5. daddy_roo

Sep 6, 2011
    Kentucky
    Do you know what it is in the beef that helps this?

6. Animalian

Animalian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    no idea. could be a the protein boost. Red meat does have the nickname "natures multivitamin"

Red meat contains a lot of iron. And while iron also comes from vegetable sources, red meat contains more iron than most foods and is best abrsorbed by the body in this form.

Red meat also contains B vitamins, phosphorus, potassium, magnesium, selenium -- and protein, critical for muscle and organ health. Protein from red meat is complete, meaning it contains all the amino acids the body cannot make on its own. Protein helps the body repair and renew.

I've hear of selinium being put in chicken feed, maybe that's it? Besides the fact feeding them meat gives them plenty of extra goodness to put through to their eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by