what to feed hens getting over sickness?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by unix_micki, Sep 16, 2011.

1. unix_micki

unix_micki Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    I have searched a bit but am looking for more ideas....

my hens are getting over an illness and antibiotics, what should i be feeding them to build them back up

i searched a bit and came up with oats/yogurt/egg yoke/apples

how about whey powder?? for protein??

anything else?? how about home made bread treats? peas??

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
  2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    After a run of antibiobics, probiotics and yogurt are your best bet to get them on track. Their systems are depleted of the good bacterias in the intestinal tract, from their crops to their gizzards. And you don't want to start any yeast or fungal infections because the crops are not moving.

Eggs are the perfect food. They have not only proteins, but minerals, amino acids and trace elements that have been lost due to illness. I always keep some hard boiled eggs on hand to feed the girls sick or not as it is a very easy food to digest.

So I would stick to soft foods that they can break down easily like eggs, wet their food down to make a mash so it digests easily, dried meal worms have good things in them, even mashed potatoes are easy to eat. I would avoid any pasta's or sweet fruits till the good bacterias get replenished in their bodies. Good luck with your healing hens!

3. unix_micki

unix_micki Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    i was thinking eggs/oatmeal/yogurt....sound ok?

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Right now I am treating a hen with sour crop and all she will eat is hard boiled egg drenched in yogurt. But adding in oatmeal would definitely boost the available energy. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by