what to feed in general?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by questions543, Apr 9, 2012.

1. questions543

questions543 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2012
    Hi Im going to own only a couple birds and know what you feed them makes a big difference... I know you have to feed them layers mash/pellets, grit and oyster shells is there other ways/stuff to feed them to get better results?

2. amydzek

amydzek Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    my girls hate pellets.. they only eat crumble... but my hens are spoiled!! they get a lot of treats in addition to their feed.... I also give them scratch every month... just mix it in the feed every once in a while! I only have 6 hens so I can spoil them rotten!!
    here is a quick list of some fave treats!
    cottage cheese
    yogurt
    grapes
    apples
    strawberries
    any kind of meat
    fish
    scrambled eggs
    spinach
    kale
    collard greens
    tomatoes
    cucumbers
    rice
    crickets
    and spaghetti

3. WI FarmChick

WI FarmChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Congrats on your new arrivals. [​IMG]

Are they going to be chicks when you get them?.... If so then you can feed them Starter....or Starter/grower. At this age they don't need extra oyster shell It is already in the feed.

If they are already Big Girls and laying eggs then you need to feed them Layer feed either crumbles or pellets. ( some like crumbles better)
    And Also sometimes it helps to have oyster shell in a free choice feeder by it's self if they need it they will eat some.

If they will be eating anything else (like treats or going outside) then you will need to provide chick grit or big girl grit depending on their age.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by