what to feed in south florida

Not sure where you can find other feeds but I have tried mine on several different feeds and the purina products have worked best for my flock. The Layena my flock is on now is a very consistent feed, other feeds had a lot of powder or dust that was wasted because they would push it out of the feeder for the crumbles. I also think the hens are processing it better because I have less poop on the poop tray over previous feeds. The waste does not seem to have as bad of an odor as well. Just my .02 cents worth!

I'm still upset about not being able to get Blueseal from up north.
Layena is good, less smelly poo. Nutrena is good but stinky poo, I'm now trying Manna because it was convenient to get the other day.

Seminole may be a good feed, however, all last spring and summer I was getting the bottom of the barrel at the processing plant, the crumbles turned into powder, or the bags were full of powder. The third time it happened, I stopped using it. They said I could bring it back, but who wants to lug 50 lb bags back to a feed store?

So I've decided that nothing is going to meet my standards, LOL. So instead of scratch, I use horse sweet feed with alot of oats, oats and oats. In fact you can buy a bag of oats and mix it in. Seminole has a 10% sweetfeed that is mostly oats. It's great. And unlike scratch, it has some nutrition and protein in it.

The other thing I do is give alot of leftovers.

So I think that their diet is as it shoud be , and I've counter-balanced whatever cheap non-nutritional filler that most chicken feeds contain. But they still need chicken feed as their main staple because ot the nutrition.

Back
Top Bottom