What to feed mama hen?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by muppets666, Nov 15, 2011.

1. muppets666

muppets666 New Egg

Nov 15, 2011
    My eggs are due to hatch in a few days but i'm confused on what i should be feeding mama hen and her baby's.
    First time hatching chicks so will need help on this journey but I've had chooks all my life but never raised any so i need help!!!

2. tinydancer87

tinydancer87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2011
    SE Georgia
    I always feed mom and babies chick crumbles from the feed store. Usually 18%.

I also dice grapes for the chicks when they are a few days old, they really love them. And mom will find little tidbits for them as well.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  3. fancyfeathers38

fancyfeathers38 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    Australia.
    I always feed mama and chicks the same thing because it is hard to separate the feed.
    I use medicated chick crumble that prevents cocidiosis (sorry about spelling), up untill they are 8 weeks which is when i switch it to pullet grower (still medicated).
    Both mama and chicks ate this and I had no probs.
    Congrats on the new chicks![​IMG]

4. fancyfeathers38

fancyfeathers38 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    Australia.
    Oh, I forgot,[​IMG]
    You can also feed then a 2-3 hard boiled egg yolks crushed with a fork, this is a great pic me up and they love it!
    I also agree with tinydancer87 grapes are a great treat, just cut then up real small so they don't choke on them.

5. jessicayarno

jessicayarno Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I feed my mamma and babies non-medicated chick start.. Both batches are outside foraging with mamma at 6wks and are doin great..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by