What To Feed Molters?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by PepsNick, Nov 9, 2010.

1. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Name says all.

Thanks.

2. Organics North

Organics North Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2009
    Wisconsin Northwoods
    Protein!
    ON

3. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    Scrambled eggs, tuna, BOSS, leftover meat (fed my girls some leftover rib nuckles the other day and they went nuts for it),

4. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Like the others have said--High protien treats are good for them. You could also switch them to a higher protien feed such as grower or gamebird for the duration, just make sure to put oyster shell out for them if you do that so they can get the calcium they need if they start laying again before you finish the bag.

5. PepsNick

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Great, thank you. LOL there will be a lot of meat buyin' then... I'm a vegeterian! So they won't eat layer at all? I know I won't just feed them that, but will they AT ALL eat it? Oh wait, they won't need it.

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    No, no, don't take their layer away, just supplement. Feed has vitamins and such. I can buy a can of mackerel near the tuna that is pretty inexpensive and no junk, a good supplement, and they love it.

7. PepsNick

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Quote:Great, thank you.

8. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    They need chicken feed too. If you switch their feed to gamebird or grower to raise their overall protien intake without the hassle of feeding supplements you don't have to feed layer too, but as ddawn mentioned they still need some sort of complete feed to meet their other nutritional needs, protien supplements alone won't do the job.

9. HorizonSon

HorizonSon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Pacific NW
    Ours NEVER EVER have had layer feed. A bit of scratch in the am and pm; rest of the day they free range. 6.5 eggs a week averages and about 4.5 eggs per week averages while going through slow healthy molting. But they molt right about now and the days are really short at this latitude already [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by