What to feed my chickens now they are laying

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by bobbi16, Nov 8, 2011.

1. bobbi16

bobbi16 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2011
    Salt Lake City
    Hello, I have 5 hens that just started laying. They are currently on the organic grower. Do i need to switch them to organic layer pellets now???? I keep hearing different things, like that they need to be on chicken mash before the pellets. I'm confused now. Any suggestions???????? I thought they went to pellets now.

2. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    I would just put them on layer feed. If you have grower left, just mix the layer into it until it's gone. Unless you have younger chicks to feed it to. I change mine over from grower straight to layer.

3. ScottyHOMEy

ScottyHOMEy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Waldo County, Maine
    Mash vs. pellets .vs crumbles is only a matter of texture, not content. It all starts as mash (basically the raw ground grains, minerals and other additives) and is then processed into pellets or smaller crumbles.

Apart from that, yes, it is time to switch them off to a layer feed of whichever consistency they (and you ) prefer. If they're just starting, it's not likely they're all starting at once. Start feeding layer cut (heavy on the layer side) with decreasing amounts with the last of your grower until you run out of grower and have them on straight layer. At the same time, make oyster shell available to them immediately. They'll all go at it at first out of curiosity because it's new in their world. Those who need it (they KNOW!) will take what of it they need.

4. Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay Chillin' With My Peeps

The birds should be on a quality feed formulated to meet the nutrient needs of laying hens.

5. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay :

The birds should be on a quality feed formulated to meet the nutrient needs of laying hens.

X2

ScottyHOMEy is also right in saying the shape of form of the feed is irrelevant. Mash is often much cheaper. If you moisten it, in a bucket with a bit of water, and stir, the mash will look just like a coarse crumble. The flour dust is deceiving. It makes it look like it is just powder, when in fact, it is coarser than crumbles.​

6. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

You should feed them what you have left until it's gone. My hens will eat the grower before they go to the layer. I offer both as I have younger birds that are not laying yet. Seems everyone prefers the grower mash over the pellets. However, with the pellets, there is a lot less waste than with the mash.

It's all a matter of preference/price. I've heard that mash is cheaper in some places. If you do offer them the grower until it is gone, I would also suggest giving them a dish of freely accessed oyster shell for the extra calcium.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by