What to feed my chicks?!?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by leellac, Mar 11, 2013.

1. leellac

leellac New Egg

Jan 19, 2013
    I want them to b as organic as possible. Right now I am feeding scratch and pellets. I don't eat wheat grains or corn so I'm not sure I want them eating scratch...any suggestions on what I should feed them?!?

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    How old are they?

3. leellac

leellac New Egg

Jan 19, 2013
    4 months...only have them for eggs...not going to eat them...they r too cute:). But I want my eggs to b as organic as possible...

4. GreenMountainEric

GreenMountainEric Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2010
    Vermont
    Feed them an organic Layer ration. Skip the scratch, unless you need to loosen litter. The layer rations are designed to be a total diet product. Throw them a treat here and there, and let them forage. Leave some free choice oyster shell kicking around and you are all set.

5. leellac

leellac New Egg

Jan 19, 2013
    Thanks;). I do a lot of vegetable juicing so they fet lots of veggie scraps and fruit scraps. I have also been trying there shells, smashing them and letting them eat that. Is yhat good or bad?!?

6. GreenMountainEric

Dec 23, 2010
    Vermont

That is all good things that you can do, just avoid letting it be a large part of their total diet. (more than 25-35% or so)

7. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    If they are 4 months I am assuming they have not started laying yet. If you decide to feed layer I would not start until they have ALL started laying. I would not feed layer if you have a roo.

I feed an organic grower 20% protein to all of my birds at all life stages. I keep oyster shell on the side. I also grow my own fodder mix of barley, wheat and BOSS and farm my own mealworms.

If you are going to give them lots of scraps I would recommend considering a higher protein food to keep the nutrition balanced.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  8. leellac

leellac New Egg

Jan 19, 2013
    I have had them on layer pellets and scratch since I got them about a month ago...only things I could get where I live...about out so inquiring minds want to know what to buy next;)

9. GreenMountainEric

Dec 23, 2010
    Vermont

As a general rule, you shouldn't start layer feed till 18 weeks, or onset of lay. Feeding them layer at 16 weeks is ok, as their bodies are able to process the extra calcium at that age. In the future, avoid layer feed at younger ages. If they are too young, you will negatively effect their ability to form a proper bone structure.

10. leellac

leellac New Egg

Jan 19, 2013
    Oops...what should I have been feeding them until now? And why not feed layer if I have a rooster. Don't have one yet, but will have in a few days....so I could just get the organic grower instead of layer pellets?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by