What to feed my ducklings??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by rubberduckies, Feb 10, 2013.

1. rubberduckies

rubberduckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2013
    Kentucky
    I know this has been asked a million times. And I pretty much know everything to do and not do except... I'm getting everything together that I will need when the ducklings arrive and all the game bird starter I've found has really high protein except one. Manno pro game/show bird starter. It has 24% protein (unmedicated). I've heard 20% is ok. Will the extra 4% hurt them? I want to avoid angel wing. And I've read that I need to give them sand as grit to grind their food. Should I just put a bowl of sand in their enclosure as soon as they arrive? Sorry if that sounds really stupid. But it's better to ask and sound stupid than do something to harm them.

2. duckins

duckins Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2012
    Gladys, Va
    Manna pro has a non med chick starter for ducks as well 20% protein @ tsc mine are on dumor chick starter 20% its little cheaper than manna pro at 3 wks I switch to grow n show pellets like by blue seal 15% protein than later I will go to all stock or a laying feed if needed proteins around 12% in those. You can by brewers yeast pills crush them and sprinkle over their crumbs to help with over all health and splayed legs might help with angel wing try to stay away from game bird mix those levels are high protein. If you've already purchased it want hurt them but keep an eye out for wings then get on lower pro as soon as they finish feed. At one point mine crested were on game bird 24% bc that's all farm store had that day they are fine.

3. zbraswell92

zbraswell92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2011
    Roswell, Ga
    I feed my ducklings Nutrena All Flock.
    It's made with a mini pellet that my lil ones are able to get down easily. It's got 18% protein. Plus, you can feed it thought out their whole lives! You'll just need to bring down the protein a lil with adults with cracked corn or scratch. All Flock has a reasonable Calcium level so it can be fed from growth to maturity. I've raised 3 generations (from chickens to ducks) on this feed and they all LOVE IT! Just offer Oyster Shell to layers.
    I would offer some grit in a small dish near the feed bowl. Just offer a little sand at first. Sometimes ducklings can overdo it on grit. Esp when they first get home and they're super hungry!
    I have used DuMOR once; it made them stink to high heavens!
    (Nutrena Nature Wise has probiotics in it and Yucca Extract to help with odors and better feed utilization.)
    I prefer Nutrena over DuMOR or Purina, personally.

4. zbraswell92

zbraswell92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2011
    Roswell, Ga
    I feed my ducklings Nutrena All Flock.
    It's made with a mini pellet that my lil ones are able to get down easily. It's got 18% protein. Plus, you can feed it thought out their whole lives! You'll just need to bring down the protein a lil with adults with cracked corn or scratch. All Flock has a reasonable Calcium level so it can be fed from growth to maturity. I've raised 3 generations (from chickens to ducks) on this feed and they all LOVE IT! Just offer Oyster Shell to layers.
    I would offer some grit in a small dish near the feed bowl. Just offer a little sand at first. Sometimes ducklings can overdo it on grit. Esp when they first get home and they're super hungry!
    I have used DuMOR once; it made them stink to high heavens!
    (Nutrena Nature Wise has probiotics in it and Yucca Extract to help with odors and better feed utilization.)
    I prefer Nutrena over DuMOR or Purina, personally.

5. rubberduckies

Feb 9, 2013
    Kentucky
    Oh thank you! Thank you! I'm getting all of the food and things they'll need today so I'm really glad I got these answers.

6. rubberduckies

Feb 9, 2013
    Kentucky
    Just checked out the nutrena feed. I'm going to use that. Thanks for the advice. The website said TSC doesn't carry bird feed. Is that true? I have another local feed store I could try. Do you know if I could order it online?

7. duckins

duckins Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2012
    Gladys, Va
    We have 4 Tsc within 30 min they all have a large variety on feed but I mostly get mine from local feed store

8. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    By the way, when the only feed I could get the ducklings was 27%, I followed Holderread's advice about giving them rolled oats, and used the oats to cut the protein percentage down. I used one part oats to four parts feed. And I gave them vitamins once a week as well, so that they did not lose out on a complete nutrition diet. Glad you are thinking ahead! There are many ways to raise ducks well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by