What to feed my geese over winter

khloee

Songster
Aug 10, 2020
I’ve started to wonder what I need to feed my geese over the winter. I’ve read article after article and each one says to feed different grains or fodder. The feeds store where I live doesn’t really sell grains in a big bag which would be the most cost efficient thing for me. I’ve also read that alfalfa hay is too tough for them to chew. My farm store does have another option for hay, that being Timothy hay. Just wondering if anyone has tried that and if their geese like it. Or if anyone has any other suggestions that'd be much appreciated :D

I just give my geese All Flock feed or Gamebird Grower.
You could also experiment with growing fodder to give them some fresh greens every week.

I just give my geese All Flock feed or Gamebird Grower.
You could also experiment with growing fodder to give them some fresh greens every week.
Yes that’s what I feed them now along with of course grass. I have thought about trying fodder. But I just not sure that, that would be in my price range or not because the grains at my feed store are sold by the pound.

All flock feed with treats is what my geese get, plus whatever grass is still alive.

Something I also do is give them half a pumpkin per group, they seem to like it but you have to get rid of the pumpkin if it sits around too long, if it starts molding they can get aflatoxins from it.
Another thing I do is gather up bags of fresh pumpkin leaves in the summer to freeze, now and then through the winter I thaw a bag out, blend it into soup and pour it into their water buckets as chlorophyll smoothies.

Mine get hay when there is no longer grass or weeds available. Not all hay is created equal and they do prefer some over others. It's not necessarily the variety but moreso the quality and level of maturity. Mine will eat alfalfa, grass, cereal grain hays (oat, rye or barley) . They eat more hay when it's immature tender horse quality. They eat about 1#/day each in addition to an all poultry feed.

All flock feed with treats is what my geese get, plus whatever grass is still alive.

Something I also do is give them half a pumpkin per group, they seem to like it but you have to get rid of the pumpkin if it sits around too long, if it starts molding they can get aflatoxins from it.
Another thing I do is gather up bags of fresh pumpkin leaves in the summer to freeze, now and then through the winter I thaw a bag out, blend it into soup and pour it into their water buckets as chlorophyll smoothies.
That’s very interesting. I don’t grow different herbs mainly for my chickens but I don’t know that I’d have enough for the whole winter for both groups.

Mine get hay when there is no longer grass or weeds available. Not all hay is created equal and they do prefer some over others. It's not necessarily the variety but moreso the quality and level of maturity. Mine will eat alfalfa, grass, cereal grain hays (oat, rye or barley) . They eat more hay when it's immature tender horse quality. They eat about 1#/day each in addition to an all poultry feed.
Hmmm I may try a small bag of the hay at first to see if they’ll even eat it. Mine are pretty picky 🙄 . Other wise I may try fodder. Heck I may do both if I can find grain for cheap. Because When I snow here in Missouri it snows and leaves no grass behind. Thank you all for the different ideas and suggestions.

Yes that’s what I feed them now along with of course grass. I have thought about trying fodder. But I just not sure that, that would be in my price range or not because the grains at my feed store are sold by the pound.
Fodder seed is best purchased at a co-op. You need untreated seed like barley. Where are you located?

Back
Top Bottom