What to feed my Mallards?

RubberDuckee

Chirping
7 Years
Jun 30, 2012
Tennessee
As my ducks are pets and thus not intended for consumption, the vet recently mentioned switching my mallards' current food to a sustainer/maintainer. I am not sure what kind to buy though.

They are 3 and 1/2 months old and they have been on game bird grower/ender feed since they were roughly 5 weeks of age.

I have been looking on line to try to find a feed that is for maintenance. I found a website for Mazuri feed. Mazuri offers water fowl maintenance feed. Here is the link" http://www.mazuri.com/mazuriwaterfowlmaintenance.aspx

Can someone tell me if this is the correct food that I should order to begin feeding my mallard ducks? Thank you!

Last edited:
I would think they would still be on a starter but I'm don't use that brand. Celtic can probably answer this for you

The mallards only need started feed for the first 10 weeks, then they go on Mazuri maintenance after that. When your hens enter breeding season (or better yet, a month before it), put the hens on Mazuri breeder pellets for the duration of breeding season, which runs from March thru June. Breeder pellets have calcium and perhaps a little more protein to support the hen's egg production.

Hi there. I have 3 Mallards and a Cayuga. They are now eating flock starter. They are about 5 1/2-6 weeks old (I have had them for about 5 weeks and the feed store said they were about a week old when I got them). How long should I keep them on the starter? Thank you!

I believe you can go ahead and transition off the starter to a grower or to a maintenance. I had read that the 5 week old mark was the point at which to transition off of the starter. I don't think a few weeks will make too much of a difference though. I still has a good bit of starter left in the bag when I transitioned mine to the grower. So, I would mix the 2 feeds together until I had used of all of the started left in the bag. I am about to put mine onto the maintenance now though. I will likely mix the grower in with the maintenance until the grower feed is all used up.

As for Cayuga, however, I am just not sure. I am only familiar with Mallards so I don't know if what is good for a "wild" breed is the same for a "domestic" breed... I just don't know enough about it...

Hopefully someone who has Cayugas will answer this part of your question.
smile.png

Anytime you switch feeds always blend them to make it an easy switch. We love the Mazuri products and highly reccomend them. We have a page on our farms website dedicated to everything we use feed wise.

Back
Top Bottom