what to feed my young hens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by anndee, Jun 9, 2008.

1. anndee

anndee Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2007
    seattle, wa
    hello everyone!
    i just acquired my very first hens and want to be sure i am feeding them the right crumble, etc,...
    they were hatched in march and april, making them both 3 and 4 month old hens, roughly. they are very fully feathered if that helps describe their maturity.
    i have both chick crumble and adult crumble, and wondering should i just mix the two?
    i keep missing the farmer i got them from on the phone, hoping he would let me know which would be more appropriate.
    also, when should i introduce oyster (calcium), shells?
    any info for a newbie like myself would be great!!!!
    thanks so much,
    anni b.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2008
  2. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

Hello, and welcome to the board. I give mine chick starter until they are 4 months old or so, then they get layer crumbles. They don't need oyster shell until they start to lay eggs. As long as they have food, and clean fresh water, they are usually good to go.

3. anndee

Sep 17, 2007
    seattle, wa
    thanks so much for the speedy reply - and i was thinking from the book i picked up that was aobut right, but for us new kids on the block, we like some reassurance!
    thanks again, and any other info would always be appreciated!
    anni

4. anndee

Sep 17, 2007
    seattle, wa
    hi again kristen -
    also, cant find anywhere, does the food just get left out for them (thats what i have been doing for the 4 days that i have had them), or do i feed them at certain times?
    i feel like a bonehead not even able to find the basic info!
    thanks,...

5. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

Ours have hanging feeders taht are kept full 24/7. Of course we go through about 300 pounds of feed a week. If you just throw them a hand full of feed a few times a day, you tend to create a mass riot. Then again, we have about 150-200 chickens at the moment. You DO NOT want to see 200 chickens charging at you when they see you coming with feed, believe me!! LOL!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by