What to feed non-laying hens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by samnsuey, Jun 5, 2011.

1. samnsuey

samnsuey Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2009
    Sherwood, Oregon
    We have a flock of non-laying, older hens. They haven't layed well in a couple of years, and the feed we have been giving them (layer crumble) is getting a little too expensive. There is NO WAY we are going to get rid of them, but they need a new feed. What can we still give them for nutrition that doesn't cost so much? They don't need all of the extra nutrients for laying, and they're free range grass. Can a simple scratch mixture supplement their diet or do they need more?
    Thanks! [​IMG]

2. smokeykk

smokeykk Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    There is a food called flock raiser, thats what you would use I'm pretty sure.

3. samnsuey

samnsuey Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2009
    Sherwood, Oregon
    Ya, we've used that in the past for my banties, but we don't really need all of the extra calcium and protein for eggs now.. is there any generic poultry feed with no extra supplements... plus their free range so they get a lot of "yummies" from the grass too. thanks!

4. sammyh312

sammyh312 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2011
    Time to eat those birds [​IMG]!

5. grandmaof5

grandmaof5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    Central N.S.
    Quote:Did you see where she said there is NO WAY she is getting rid of those birds? While some people would do as you suggest, I believe her question regarded what she could feed them to encourage laying. Perhaps I misunderstood...

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  6. ChickyLove

ChickyLove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Springfield, MA.
    Quote:Sweet old things! Glad you're keeping them!!

, but they need a new feed. What can we still give them for nutrition that doesn't cost so much?

I wonder if maybe something like scratch combined with this: http://store.landjfeed.com/store/product/9281/ALL-PURPOSE-POULTRY-50LBS/ might be helpful?

They don't need all of the extra nutrients for laying, and they're free range grass. Can a simple scratch mixture supplement their diet or do they need more?
    Thanks! [​IMG]

To clarify, you're not trying to encourage them to lay anymore, you just want them to be healthy and happy for the remainder of their earthly life? Makes sense to me! [​IMG]

7. Harrietsmum

Harrietsmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Hamilton, New Zealand
    Are wheat, whole corn, and oats, cheap by the bag in your area? I would look at buying the basics as cheap as possible, then mixing my own feed.

8. NanaLantana

NanaLantana Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2011
    Lantana, Florida
    Give them a little coffee with cream and sugar a couple mornings a week. Maybe they'll start laying again - mine did! Laid eggs on coffee until 9 yrsold! Also, she was free-range, got kitchen scraps, and some scratch grain. That's it. She did fine, died of her last moult at just over 9 years old.

Now I have new hens, 6 of them. They've just started laying, and when they slack off, I'm bringing out the coffee!!

9. PattyO

PattyO Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2010
    what breed of chicken layed an intact egg at age 9 please

10. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    I had a Barred Rock that laid a few eggs a week until she died at 8+ years old. She was from my first bunch in 1993 and passed away in July 2001. Layer is cheaper than all flock & higher protein feeds. You can feed them just grains, although I doubt it would be much cheaper. If they are free ranging & not laying, they can't be eating that much feed. I think except for extra greens & meat waste that you already may have, there is no real way to feed cheaper without jeopardizing the old girls' health. JMHO

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by