What to feed roosters? Also what about dried calendula?

Ladygrey17

In the Brooder
May 25, 2022
Her have 5 chicks and 1 mama hen. Chicks are about 7-8 weeks old now. 4hens and 1 rooster. Mama just started laying again this week so we have brought out the small chick feeder for her layer crumbles and kept the large feeder full with starter/grower crumbles.
Once the chicks start laying, which is around 4-6months?, they can go on layer feed. But what about the rooster? Should I then feed something different in the smaller feeder just for him? Can the hens and roosters eat each other’s feed?

Also once they start laying, has anyone tried to grow and feed dried calendula flowers? And what dark leafy greens are best for the rich yolk? I don’t just want the dark color but also make sure they are fed all around nutritious. They are currently not free range.

Thank you!!

Any time you have a mixed flock you should feed an "all flock" type feed like Flock Raiser, All Flock or a good chick starter.

Layer feeds were designed for the commercial industry where only layers are in the barn and those layers will be slaughtered when they start their first adult molt and replaced by pullets.

Layer feed offers too much calcium for males and growing pullets and the bare minimum protein.

When you feed your flock something like Flock Raiser you have a better protein level and won't be unnecessarily feeding excess calcium to the males, pullets and molting hens. Just put out a couple of containers of oyster shell for the active layers and you are set for any type of flock dynamic.

My birds range in a 1/3 acre penned in area that always has grass/weeds growing in it during the warmer weather. They have nice dark yolks. Any edible greens will produce the dark yolk color.

Any time you have a mixed flock you should feed an "all flock" type feed like Flock Raiser, All Flock or a good chick starter.

Layer feeds were designed for the commercial industry where only layers are in the barn and those layers will be slaughtered when they start their first adult molt and replaced by pullets.

Layer feed offers too much calcium for males and growing pullets and the bare minimum protein.

When you feed your flock something like Flock Raiser you have a better protein level and won't be unnecessarily feeding excess calcium to the males, pullets and molting hens. Just put out a couple of containers of oyster shell for the active layers and you are set for any type of flock dynamic.

My birds range in a 1/3 acre penned in area that always has grass/weeds growing in it during the warmer weather. They have nice dark yolks. Any edible greens will produce the dark yolk color.
This ^^

About the calendula, I don't grow it but I do buy the dried herb and add it to various products on my Etsy shop. Its fantastic for chickens, full of antioxidants which is curtail for laying hens, nutrients, and produces a lovely dark egg yolk.
Calendula doesn't only have benefits when eaten, but if you have the time to dry it, and make tinctures/salves out of it, that is very very beneficial. Calendula oil or salve is a staple in my first aid kit for wound care. Its so great for infection as it has drawing affects which draw infection, or foreign bodies out of wounds. Works fantastic! I find it works better than Neosporin for small abrasions myself.
As for leafy greens, I'm currently growing chard and spinach for my flock. Both of those are fantastic for egg yolk color and nutrition.

Thank you for your reply! We will do this.

Back
Top Bottom