1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What to feed Serama chicks? Silkies....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Bryam, Dec 27, 2015.

1. Bryam

Bryam Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    I have 9 one month old Serama chicks. How long should i feed them chick starter for? They are not very big my birds. I find the grower is big pieces still.

I also have a second question I have 4 six month old silkie pulleys, one started laying, but I have been feeding them grower food with crushed oyster shells on the food. Should I keep doing that, or should I switch them to layer food?

Thanks!!

Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
  2. junebuggena

junebuggena Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    If the starter is unmedicated, they can eat it all their lives.
    Layer feed is for actively laying birds only. If they aren't all laying, keep them on grower. Offer the oyster shell separately from the feed so that the birds that don't need it aren't ingesting it.

3. Bryam

Aug 19, 2008

So, I went to the feed store and they didn't have unmedicated chick starter, so I bought unmedicated duckling starter, which is 22 percent protien, 2 percent more protien than the chick starter. Is it okay to feed them the duckling stater?

Thanks!

Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
  4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    They'll be fine on the waterfowl starter. You could cut it with a little scratch mix to lower the protein content, or not. I used to feed gamefowl starter, and never had a problem with it (other than the price).
    My Silkies get chick starter or flock raiser, depending on what's available, all their lives. And they get oyster shell or crushed egg shells on the side for calcium.

Good luck :)

5. Bryam

Aug 19, 2008
    Ok! My call ducks like the duck starter, lol!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by