What to feed show birds? Does Nyjer seed fatten them up?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by leepshin, Jul 24, 2011.

1. leepshin

leepshin Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2011
    Hi Everyone, [​IMG]
    I have heard that Nyjer seed is suppose to be good to fatten up chickens for a show. I was just wondering if anyone here feeds it to their show birds.
    Also, if anyone could tell me what they feed there show birds I would appreciate it.[​IMG]

2. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:What breed are you working with?
    Most if not all of my bird wont eat Nyjer seed. (the seed is to small)

Have you wormed and deloused them recently, if so with what and what type of feed are they on?

Chris

3. leepshin

Jul 23, 2011
    I am showing my Silkies. No, I haven't wormed or deloused them recently.
    They are just eating crumbled layer pellets and hen scratch.

4. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:I would worm and delouse them then see what that does.

Chris

5. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I don't show my birds but I do like to make them a mash that is good for their skin and feathers.
    Corn is not good for Silkies, they need more Vit E, too.
    So get some wheat bran, barley flakes, rolled oats, flax meal, crushed hulled sunflower seeds and wheat germ oil with Vit E. I add just enough WGO to make it all stick together and roll it into balls. I offer that every morning first thing when they are hungry and they gobble it down. It really makes a Silkie look top notch.
    But as previous poster suggested, you first need to deworm and make sure all external and internal parasites are gone.

6. chicken_noob

chicken_noob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2011
    Chehalis WA.
    I have never shown a bird but want to. Thinking of buying some show chickens to have a good starting point for breeding. When he asked what food to fees them, you asked about worming and delouse them 1st. Is there a food that helps with this that you feed before mixing a show food. Im a bit confused here so please excuse me. Thanks for your info.

7. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:If a chicken has a louse or worm problem they will tend to be thin and under weight so wile feeding chicken you are know feeding the parasites.
    If you get rid of the parasites then your birds might just start gaining there weight back on there own and with no change to there diet.

If you treat for the parasites and still have a weight problem then you go to the feed. I would try adding some protein to there feed in the form of a Game bird feed as a top dress over there normal feed.

You can also offer a little Soaked Oats as a treat. The Soaked Oats will help with feather condition and weigh.

Is there a food that helps with this that you feed before mixing a show food

There is no poultry feed with a wormer in it you will have to worm the by giving them a good wormer like; Piperzine 34 Liquid, Wormazole, Ivomec, Levamisole, Wazine, or Fenbendazole
    As for delousing a good poultry dust like, Prozap Garden / Poultry Dust or good old Seven Dust will work.

Chris​

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  8. leepshin

Jul 23, 2011
    Quote:I would worm and delouse them then see what that does.

Chris

Thanks, what kind of wormer do you use?

9. leepshin

Jul 23, 2011
    Quote:Should I stop feeding my Silkies hen scratch then? After I worm them I'll give them the balls to see how they like it.[​IMG]

10. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:I use mostly Ivermec but I will from time to time use a product called Breco Enzum put out by Dr. Blues or Trifen Plus that is a mixture of Ivomec and Febendazole.

Chris

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by