what to feed the non-layers during winter?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by MissClaraCluck, Nov 28, 2011.

1. MissClaraCluck

MissClaraCluck Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    Two of my hens are laying while the other two are not. Will the layer feed be detrimental to them if they are not laying eggs?

2. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    It will not harm them, but if they're still growing it may not provide sufficient nutrition for that growth.

3. KandiandJerry

KandiandJerry Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] if they are not laying and are free ranging in the day I would feed them scratch grains it will produce body heat for them when its cold..

4. Olive Hill

Apr 19, 2009
    Quote:Scratch grains are deficient in almost all areas of nutrition for every stage of life. They are a treat and should be fed as such if at all.

5. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    I use Flock Raiser crumbles, 25% scratch feed, 10% whole corn, 10% BOSS.

6. KandiandJerry

thats true but my free rangers do get treats I was advised it produces heat in them for the winter.... is that correct?

7. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I still feed mine layers or flock raiser during the winter and have never had a problem.

8. KandiandJerry

I feed mine complete layer as well but do give them scratch as a treat... but did not know if that was true or not about producing heat in there body. I have never had a problem with mine either

9. Olive Hill

Apr 19, 2009
    No, scratch grains do not heat chickens up. They are mostly made up of easily digestible carbohydrates which can be valuable in the winter when animals require more energy, but not more overall nutrition, to cope with the frigid temperatures, but that value has nothing to do with a direct effect on body temperature.

10. KandiandJerry

ok thanks for the info. like I said did not know if it was true or not. it didnt sound right to me but was unsure....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by