What to feed who???

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chickaren, Mar 29, 2012.

1. chickaren

chickaren Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2012
    Stratford, CT
    I have 3 chickens total. One hen is a year old and doesn't lay. I have been feeding her layer pellets but no luck as far as her laying. I also have two younger birds. They are 9 weeks old. One is a rooster as I have recently found out. I have been feeding them grower pellets. Now I have put them in with my older hen. I am now feeding them all the grower pellets because I have read not to feed the younger birds layer pellets until they lay. Is my older hen losing out on anything by eating the grower pellets, even though she doesn't lay anyway? And what about the rooster? When my other hen is of age, I will want to feed her the layer pellets. Can the rooster eat the layer pellets too? Do I need to feed each bird something different and if so, how will I ever keep them from eating each others food?

[​IMG]

These are my pets by the way, so I don't mind that the older hen may never lay, but I wouldn't mind some eggs if the younger female will produce them.

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

This is why they sell feed that is for the entire flock. Sometimes called All Flock, sometimes known as Purina Flock Raiser. Of course, a good quality Grower would also work well. Just offer some calcium source, such as oyster shells on the side. The birds whose bodies don't require the added calcium generally have nothing to do with it.

3. chickaren

chickaren Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2012
    Stratford, CT
    Well, that makes sense, lol. Thank you for the response. Would they sell oyster shell at the feed store as well? What other types of calcium could I offer?

4. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Yes, feed store will have oyster shell. Yogurt is a good source of calcium and many people keep and grind the eggshells and give to them. But oyster shell is the easiest way to give them calcium.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by