"What to feed your chickens so they survive winter."

Pics

Tami2

Crowing
Apr 30, 2022
Hi,
My sister sent me this video. I'm curious to hear your input. I live in the northeast and I am very concerned about winter. It's already been cold and dropped down to 31* overnight last night. Please let me know your thoughts and more suggestions are welcome. Thanks so much in advance. I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

There are a few things she said that are not quite right oyster shell is for calcium grit is for digestion she said wood chips she had pine shavings and dont add it all at one time start with a thin layer and add more as they wear it down if you go that route I have sand in my coop hay or straw can get moldy and nasty mixed with poop a coop must have ventilation over the chickens head I dont think they need all the different foods their layer food is what is healthy for them I do give them a little meat once in awhile cause I like to watch them turn into tiny dinosaurs and maybe some greens I live in northern Minnesota and have been through some brutal winters with my chickens and they made it through winter fine just keep the wind off of them

Last edited:
There are a few things she said that are not quite right oyster shell is for calcium grit is for digestion she said wood chips she had pine shavings and dont add it all at one time start with a thin layer and add more as they wear it down if you go that route I have sand in my coop hay or straw can get moldy and nasty mixed with poop a coop must have ventilation over the chickens head I dont think they need all the different foods their layer food is what is healthy for them I do sometimes give them a little meat once in awhile cause I like to watch them turn into tiny dinosaurs and maybe some greens I live in northern Minnesota and have been through some brutal winters with my chickens and they made it through it fine just keep the wind off of them
I’ve been to MN a bunch of times to the Houston county area and really love it. What area are you from? The winters can be brutal, much like mine in NY. Is your coop insulated?

I live in the desert and need to be prepared for extreme heat but also potential freezes. Our weather isn’t conducive to long spells of below freezing temps, but I haven’t read here on BYC where people say they increase protein in winter unless their flock is molting; this not region specific, lots of folks do it regardless of location. Also, the coop that she was in doesn’t look like it meets all of her requirements.

Meat is not something you HAVE to add in winter. The feed you provide has all the fat and nutrients they need. They’ll appreciate treats like the meat because they won’t have the bugs to
forage as they do the rest of the year. A chicken will eat corn, it’s like candy to them and they’ll often pick it out of scratch first regardless of the time of year. It is supposed to keep them warm but I forget why. Still, too much can be bad for them.

Deep litter in your coop that you turn or encourage your chickens to will create warmth for your flock. Essentially you’re composting in the coop which creates heat. Anything on the ground is intended to limit odors and sometimes moisture and lots of things work. I use a combo of pine shavings and pellets with a little straw for my deep litter. Some people add grass clippings and fallen leaves which I don’t have but they work. Keeping the flock out of a draft is important, but they need plenty of ventilation to keep moisture to a minimum so they don’t get frost bite.

Do not follow this woman's advice.

A lot of things she says are BS.

☝️ All of this! Becky's Homestead is one of the worst resources on the internet for accurate information about raising chickens. I honestly wonder at this point if she doesn't just make things up to see what nonsense she can get her followers to believe. :rolleyes:

☝️ All of this! Becky's Homestead is one of the worst resources on the internet for accurate information about raising chickens. I honestly wonder at this point if she doesn't just make things up to see what nonsense she can get her followers to believe. :rolleyes:
I thinks she may. But i went through a cold winter last year and it has already been in the teens this year were i live (Southwest Wisconsin). All i did last year is lock them in the coop on very cold days. I also add corn to there feed and give them some scrap foods. This year i am getting hay/straw to go around the coop to help keep it warmer, and not so breezy.

Back
Top Bottom