What to feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by RevaT1987, Apr 3, 2017.

1. RevaT1987

RevaT1987 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2017
    Ft. McCoy, Florida
    Hi! I have 4 hens that are about 10 weeks old, 5 bantams that are about 5-6 weeks old, and 3 ducks that are 10 weeks and 5-6 weeks old.
    I have been buying a grower feed that the local feed store sells. I am not sure what brand because its in a clear bag labeled chick starter by the feed store. They are eating a ton of food, I am wanting to switch them to something that they won't need to eat as much. I am just wondering if I need to buy a starter, grower, or something else. The ducks and chickens need to be able to eat the same thing. I do have the bantams separated from the ducks and older chickens, but would like to feed them the same thing if possible.
    Any advice on the kind of feed I should use and a good brand would be awesome.
    Thanks!

2. I Love Layers

I Love Layers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2015
    Middle of Nowhere
    They should stay on some type of starter/grower until at least 14 weeks. Most people keep them on it til 16. If it is warm enough during the day you can have them in a open bottomed cage during the day

3. I Love Layers

Apr 25, 2015
    Middle of Nowhere
    Also are they wasting a lot of feed?

4. RevaT1987

Mar 16, 2017
    Ft. McCoy, Florida
    The older chickens and duck run loose in my backyard during the day. (I am home and its fenced in) Its been in the 80 here in Florida the last few weeks so they really like to lay out in the sun. The chickens don't seem to waste much, but the ducks are just dirty and sling food all over the place LOL

What brand do you recommend?

5. I Love Layers

Apr 25, 2015
    Middle of Nowhere
    I usually buy the cheapest which here is Nutrena. You should also look into no waste feeders especially for the ducks

6. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Definitely no waste type feeders! I use the big yellow plastic ones from Premier1supplies.com, rather than make feeders. Buy an all-flock feed that's labeled for chickens and ducklings, and that's fresh at your feed stores. All feed bags should have a date of processing on the label, and don't buy anything older than four weeks, max. Then use it up within a couple of weeks at most. Some vitamins are lost over time, so be careful. I feed Purina Flock Raiser, not the cheapest, but always fresh at my local TSC, and my birds do very well on it. Mary

7. RevaT1987

Mar 16, 2017
    Ft. McCoy, Florida
    I had no clue about no waste feeders! I just looked them up and I already have my husband looking for parts at his work! LOL that would be amazing!

In the past I have fed Purina so I will most likely just get a bag and see if that helps the feed consumption. They are eating most of the feed but it would be nice to stop the waste also.

8. RevaT1987

Mar 16, 2017
    Ft. McCoy, Florida

I am looking at Purina feeds now, and the flock raiser seems to be my best shot. My husband is pretty handy and hopefully he will have one made by the end of the day!

Thank you guys for helping me!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by