1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What to feed???

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by honeynajar, Apr 4, 2012.

1. honeynajar

honeynajar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    [​IMG]Well we just got our new meat peeps this am and they are nice and toasty in their new temporary home.
    I started feeding them the same food I am feeding my layer chicks. Is this right? I've been reading on the forum and see several indications that I need to switch feeds at different ages. Any help would be most appreciated![​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Darin115

Darin115 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2008
    Asheboro, NC
    Yes they need to be eating start and grow feed.

You can feed them start and grow the whole time or after 4 weeks switch them to a finishing type feed. It will have a little less protein.

Thanks!

Darin

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  3. honeynajar

May 19, 2011
    Thanks Darin - the feed I'm using right now is Manna Pro Chick Starter crumbles. Is that good? Thanks!

4. honeynajar

May 19, 2011
    No Scratch that - that was what I started with when I bought the chicks @ tractor supply. I'm feeding them now the DuMor Chick Starter/Grower.

5. Darin115

Apr 28, 2008
    Asheboro, NC
    What % protein?
    I used to start mine on a turkey starter because of the higher protein. Now I use regular chick starter. I think it is 20% protein. Maybe 22%. I will have to check the bag.

I pushed my last batch and processed them at around 7 weeks old. I fed them 24 hours a day for the entire 7 weeks. This time I am not really worried about how many weeks it takes to get them up to around 8lbs.

I switch over to a lower protein finisher feed. I get it at Southern States.

Darin

6. honeynajar

May 19, 2011
    Protein is 20%.

I was assuming that I would just leave the food out all the time like I do for the layer chicks. I wasn't aware until about 5 minutes ago that some take the food away from them at night. I take it one can do either? Thanks again![​IMG]

7. Darin115

Apr 28, 2008
    Asheboro, NC
    I let them have 24 hour access to food until they are around 4 weeks old. I have left food available for 24 huors a day before but won't do that on the current batch.

It is amazing on how fast these things grow. Mine will be 2 weeks old tomorrow. They are huge. Their appetite is growing with their size.

Good luck!!

Darin

8. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    There are lots of ways to raise meaties, and everyone has their particular way they've found that works best...and most ways will work for anyone.

A standard way to raise is to feed a higher protein feed (20-22%) and then to start feed 12 hours on and 12 hours off at 5 days old, until processing time. This is a pretty standard commercial regiment. Welp has a guide of how much to feed for each week using this here:

http://www.welphatchery.com/cornish_rock_care.asp

Now, I personally haven't free ranged/tractored, however I do a free choice feed of a 21% nonmedicated grower feed from beginning to end, with no feed restrictions. I get the feed from my local mill (it's cheaper and more fresh). I bed deeply in fresh shavings and add shavings regularly to keep them from laying in their waste. LOTS of water is important - they drink much, much more than layers.

Experimenting is often done in this forum with meaties, and many have excellent results with different feeds, sprouted grains (there are a few threads on this right now), free ranging, and the like. To start, it's easiest to follow the same feed beginning to end, as long as it's nonmedicated (if medicated is warranted in your personal situation, then follow the withdrawal instructions on your feed), and choose if you wish to withhold feed or not. Just make sure they're housed as clean as they can be, and have lots of fresh water, and they are processed in a reasonable timeframe.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by