1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What to feed?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BrendaAnn, Oct 19, 2014.

1. BrendaAnn

BrendaAnn New Egg

Oct 16, 2014
    What is best to feed a hen recovering from an attack? She eats very little food but drinks a lot of water.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I would mosten a spoonful or two of her feed slightly, then offer that, discarding what she doesn't eat in half an hour or so. If you have it, you could moisten it with a small amount of yoghurt or kefir. If there are any "treats" you know she likes, you can try them. A scrambled or boiled egg is often very attractive to them, as are mealworms. Even a bite of your hamburger might be very attractive. If you have any probiotics, human or animal, you could give a bit of that. She may be in need of electrolytes if she's drinking a lot of water. You can buy them in the feed store, but you can also give her a small amout of a sports drink like Gatorade. (I wouldn't recommend milk as birds are lactose intolerant.)

It may be that it is part of her healing process to mostly drink at this stage and eat later. as she improves. Also, be sure she is warm and feels safe. A bathtub in your spare bathroom makes a great infirmar for a day or two. Sshe might want a flock mate there with her for company. Good luck!

3. BrendaAnn

BrendaAnn New Egg

Oct 16, 2014
    She has layer crumbles as she wants and I give her bits of bread. I did let her have a few pecks of canned catfood. Is thre something really helpful I can give her that wil be nutricious?

4. BrendaAnn

BrendaAnn New Egg

Oct 16, 2014
    Thank you, Judy! I actually do have her in a small bathroom where I can tell she feels safe. She seems to be getting better each day though I worry that she isn't eating much, like 3 bites of something about twice a day. She drinks water like crazy. I will fix an egg for her and will get her some electrolytes today. Thanks again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by