1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What to feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by 18angovem, Nov 2, 2014.

1. 18angovem

18angovem Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2014
    Warren Pennsylvania
    Hi, I am building an aviary and I am putting call ducks, silkie chickens, bob white quail, pheasants, pigeons, doves, wood ducks, mandarin ducks and perhaps more birds, but I am wondering what to feed them? Is there one food that will work for all of them, or do I have to seperate them to feed them every day? Thanks, Mitchell

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    An all flock/flock raiser type feed is a good place to start. I've never raised them but the Columbidae may need some different feed but that's easily remedied by putting it up high near their housing.
    The game birds will benefit from a higher protein feed.\
    I would have multiple feed stations with various protein levels and let them self adjust.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
  3. 18angovem

18angovem Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2014
    Warren Pennsylvania
    Thanks! I might be adding peafowl but that is still up in the air. I was looking at making homemade feed but with that many birds it might not be possible. It would probably be like 50 birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by