What to fill bottom of run with

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jamuso, Jul 4, 2011.

1. jamuso

jamuso New Egg

Jul 4, 2011
    Hi,

Love the site...been doing lots of reading. Wife and I got mobile 3 x 4 coop with attached run (3x5 - yes too small). We've decided to turn an area on the side of garage into run. Site sits under pines and is shaded. We are planning on building an 8 x 12 run for our 3 hens. We'll bury the wire and make everything secure so the birds can come and go as they please - the run will be covered with clear corrugated roofing panels. I was planning on getting a yard of gravel and top that with a yard of the crushed stone. Is that appropriate? I would make a sand box for them as well. The area has had two layers of stone already that have been crushed down over the years...so with the buried wire and all the rock that's there any where - i'm expected a secure run.

Does that sound ok? My reading here tells me yes - but i just want to verify before spending the $$$.

Thanks again...

2. The Burg Peeps

The Burg Peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Ontario
    As long as you find rock/stone that is smooth with no really sharp edges. Chicken's feet can get very sore and cut from sharp rock/stone.
    Sounds like you have a good plan... Enjoy!
    [​IMG]

3. 202roosterlane

202roosterlane Happy Hen on a Harley

Feb 24, 2011
    Central Arkansas
    I'm glad you asked that question. I too am going to add an additional to the other side of my coop. But it has rocks that has been beaten down. I consider these to be to sharp for ME to walk on but I thought it would not matter for tough Arkansas (LOL) chickens. Looks like I will be getting out the ole shovel and relocation some rocks. But I think I will add them to the concrete mixture I will run along the outside base of the run. Saw a 5 ft black snake in my yard... don't know if he likes chicken eggs, but I have golf balls ready for him.

4. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    I wouldn't use gravel or stone. You don't want to mess around and get bumblefoot. Not to mention how uncomfortable that would be to live on. Use sand, especially since it is covered. Mine love sand...they dig in it and bathe in it. They love to fluff it around and hunt for things. And the poop just disappears!
    sharon

5. nuchickontheblock

nuchickontheblock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2010
    south portland, maine
    First of all . . .[​IMG]

We have a smaller enclosed covered run, as our chickens mostly free range, but we used a light layer of pine shavings over the dirt. If you have pines handy, perhaps you can rake up and use some pine needles also. They love to scratch so much -- they won't have much scratching enjoyment with rocks.

6. BoltonChicken

BoltonChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Bolton, Mississippi
    Use sand, especially since it is covered.

Yes. And dirt. Chickens love to scratch and dirt bath and look for grit.

we used a light layer of pine shavings over the dirt

Yes. That works well too. It is what I use and have been happy with it.

If you have pines handy, perhaps you can rake up and use some pine needles

Ahh... you might want to re-think that. I find that hay/straw/pine needles tends to clump together with the poop and become rather difficult to remove when cleaning out.​

7. jamuso

jamuso New Egg

Jul 4, 2011
    Thanks for your responses...couple of follow up questions... SOrry if they're silly....

1) Any particular kind of sand?
    2) Someone mentioned that the poop disappears. - Is that correct? There's no need to rake out the extra from time to time?

Again - thanks for the responses...

8. welasharon

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    I cheat...I get my sand from the creek. You can do a search on here I know I have read in the past some types and less expensive sand. I will sometimes take a shovel and scoop out from under where they are roosting but all I mormally do is scrape the board under the roost. Mine is an open air pen so I don't have an enclosed coop. I'm telling you, it is amazing how the poop just goes away. Now, when they first poop it is there but then it gets worked in and is gone.THis week I am changing out some of mine but only because it has gotten mixed with chips and hay from the winter.
    sharon

9. jamuso

jamuso New Egg

Jul 4, 2011
    thanks for the response...since i'm going to have a cover on it - should i spray it down from time to time to help get stuff to break down - or will that make things worse?

10. welasharon

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    You really want to keep it dry. Wet poop is really stinky poop. I sometimes will wet a small area where they like to lay. It is cooler and in FL the heat and humidity is horrid in the summer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by