What to floor the coop with? Cedar killed my Brigitte :(

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by brigitte_the_leghorn, Jul 16, 2011.

1. brigitte_the_leghorn

brigitte_the_leghorn Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    I have a concrete run and I liked to give the hens a section squared off which bit of a 'soil run...' they use it to dustbathe and scratch around. But recently I put cedar shavings on top which stated they were poultry safe, but stupid me put it down and I think my sweet Brigitte was poisoned [​IMG] I need to put something down that can [somewhat] absorb any smell, will not rot and is SAFE for my girls. I removed ALL cedar bedding and I'm ready to start over. Thanks for your help and compassion.

R.I.P. my sweet Brigitte
    [​IMG]

2. Kaitie09

Kaitie09 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    South Central, PA
    Get pine shavings instead.

3. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    Sand might be good. I used cedar chips for the first while (organic, untreated) and I didn't lose any birds. I hope you figure out what happened and I'm sorry for your loss.

4. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    I use dried leaves in my covered run.

Edited to say: I'm sorry about Briditte. She was very pretty.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
  5. brigitte_the_leghorn

Mar 30, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    Thanks guys, I've done some light research on river sand...what is your opinion on using straight soil besides that it's messy? Would sand be better?
    Again, thanks a lot!

6. franklinchickens

franklinchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    We have a mix of pine shavings and playground sand for the run. It was 2 separate areas but quickly became mixed up. My girls free range during the day but I find them in the run pretty often dusting themselves and digging holes. Of course they do this in the yard too but they seem to like the sand & shavings because it is easy to practically bury themselves!
    I should add that our COOP has a vinyl floor and is raised above the run. They only go in there to roost & lay. The run is underneath and that is where the sand/shavings mix is. It doesn't really get poopy or smelly because it isn't where they live all the time.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
  7. ladyride

ladyride Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    East Tn
    we use equine pellets & pine shavings . [​IMG]

8. maizy'smom

maizy'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Philadelphia suburbs
    I saw a thread on here a few days ago, I think it was about dust baths, that used peat mulch mixed with sand and DE(?). The post-er's girls seemed to love it. The also had something about using a children's green plastic, turtle-shaped sand box(with a lid) as a dust bath. I just mention that so you can recognize which post it is, if you go looking.

mm

9. brigitte_the_leghorn

Mar 30, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    Thanks so much guys! Heading to the store now for pine and sand...will keep ya'll posted on how they like it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by